Open to Internal and External Candidates
Project Associate, Communications
San Salvador, El Salvador
General Service Staff, Grade G7
Type of Appointment
One Year Fixed Term
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
November 18th, 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) operates world-wide with a target of providing resettlement opportunities to tens of thousands of refugees each year. IOM provides a range of services and support to the USRAP including, but not limited to, case processing, migration health assessments, cultural orientation training, organized transportation and administration of a travel loan and collections program. The Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE), specifically the Resettlement and Movement Division (RMM), has the organizational responsibility to provide direction, oversight and guidance to IOM’s global support to all resettlement programs.
Under the general supervision of the Project Coordinator, Communications, RSC El Salvador and the direct supervision of the Project Officer, Communications, RSC El Salvador, the successful candidate will be based in San Salvador, El Salvador and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise up to two teams of RSC El Salvador staff members undertaking communications activities in an assigned area or areas related to case consultation, the information center and/or public affairs, including overseeing staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of communications activities.
- Oversee the efficient and effective management of communications systems utilized by RSC El Salvador, including, if assigned, email management systems, phone systems, websites and online case inquiry systems, walk-in case consultation spaces and applicant waiting areas. As needed, identify system issues and potential solutions to communications challenges.
- In relation to case consultation, ensure case consultation spaces are as confidential as possible while remaining secure for staff members and that case consultation spaces can accommodate the existing volume of scheduled and walk-in individuals as well as potential influxes. Ensure staff members undertaking case consultation are adequately trained and provide efficient, effective, accurate, clear and courteous information to all individuals.
- Oversee the information center, if assigned, ensuring that all communication undertaken by staff members by phone, email, through website(s) and other technological means and, if relevant, in person, are efficient, effective, accurate, clear, and courteous. Ensure the information provided by the RSC El Salvador information center is up to date, relevant and accessible to all persons, including to at-risk individuals, and that the staff members providing the information are adequately trained.
- Oversee activities related to public affairs, including, as assigned, planning, developing, designing, producing, and distributing materials for individuals served by RSC El Salvador, RSC management, IOM, partners and donors, including print, audio, visual and online materials. As required, oversee responses sent to Congressional inquiries made to RSC El Salvador about cases.
- Ensure WRAPs, other relevant databases and case files are updated in a timely and effective manner with communications-related content and supervise communications- related processes being carried out within and between units, including by email and phone.
- Utilizing reports and other oversight mechanisms, oversee regular QC of communications- related data in WRAPS and other communications tools such as email systems to ensure the accuracy and clarity of information shared with individuals as well as the RSC’s compliance with all USRAP and RSC SOPs. Proactively address communications-related backlogs or other issues in coordination with RSC management.
- Liaise with other teams and units in RSC El Salvador and with external partners such as USCIS, the Refugee Processing Center (RPC), panel physicians, the US Embassy, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Prepare unit statistics and report regularly to the Project Coordinator, RCS El Salvador or RSC management on relevant activities, problems and solutions related to the workflow and processing pipeline.
- Train other communications team members to efficiently and effectively manage communications activities, update WRAPS and other databases accurately and to supervise communications team members and activities.
- Undertake duty travel as needed to participate in communications-related activities, for meetings and for training.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the USRAP, SOPs and WRAPS, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with applicants, colleagues and partners. Develop and implement SOPs as needed.
- Maintain and promote the confidentiality and integrity of all RSC-related information by implementing control procedures in line with USRAP standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert RSC management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by RSC staff members.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- University degree in Social Science, International Relations, Regional Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience.
- High school degree with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations. – Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners. – Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written)
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. – Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. – Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. – Delivering results produce and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. – Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate. – Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. – Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies- behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their potential. – Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential. – Strategic thinking & vision : works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by by November 18th , 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Any offer made to the candidates in relation to this vacancy is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
KEEP IN MIND:
- The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for
- The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English.
- Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration.
- Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered.
- This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country.
- The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB.
From 4.11.2022 to 18.11.2022