Open to Internal and External Candidates 3 positions
Project Assistant, Cultural Orientation
San Salvador, El Salvador
General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment
One Year Fixed Term
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
November 18th, 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) operates world-wide with a target of providing resettlement opportunities to tens of thousands of refugees each year. IOM provides a range of services and support to the USRAP including, but not limited to, case processing, migration health assessments, cultural orientation training, organized transportation and administration of a travel loan and collections program. The Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE), specifically the Resettlement and Movement Division (RMM), has the organizational responsibility to provide direction, oversight and guidance to IOM’s global support to all resettlement programs.
Under the general supervision of the Project Officer, Cultural Orientation, RCS El Salvador, and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant, Cultural Orientation, RCS El Salvador, the successful candidate will be based in San Salvador, El Salvador and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake Project Compliance and Communication activities together with the Cultural Orientation activities in an assigned area or areas, such as such as training, scheduling or childcare and, as required, guide and assist in monitoring teams of Project Clerks and Project Assistants in organizing and completing cultural orientation activities in an assigned area.
- Efficiently and effectively undertake case consultation services for individuals who appear in-person at RSC El Salvador, providing efficient, effective, accurate, clear, and courteous information to individuals during case consultation, and training all Project Clerks and Project Assistants involved in case consultation to provide such information.
- Undertake cultural orientation training activities, including providing training for a range of resettlement countries throughout the region, featuring student-centered activities in all classes, assisting in drafting training lesson plans in accordance with RSC El Salvador cultural orientation objectives, assisting in the development of teaching materials, visual aids and bulletin boards supporting the curriculum and assisting in managing and restocking inventories of instructional supplies.
- Provide administrative assistance in monitoring and evaluation activities for RSC El Salvador, including, if assigned, assisting with administering surveys, interviews and focus groups and assisting with logistical activities related to preparing for surveys, interviews and focus groups.
- In coordination with supervisors, assist with activities related to public affairs, including, as assigned, developing, designing, producing, and distributing materials for individuals served by RSC El Salvador, RSC management, IOM, partners, and donors, including print, audio, visual and online materials.
- Undertake cultural orientation scheduling activities for RSC El Salvador, including, if assigned, providing all individuals requiring cultural orientation classes the opportunity to attend, assisting in planning and organizing circuit rides in an efficient and effective manner and providing logistical circuit ride support is provided when necessary. Train Project Assistants and Project Clerks to provide appropriate scheduling services.
- Assist in overseeing cultural orientation childcare activities for RSC El Salvador, including, if assigned, monitoring and guiding staff members providing childcare services, helping ensure childcare spaces are appropriate, adequate, and well- maintained, training childcare staff members to conduct basic cultural orientation activities designed for children and monitoring the work of childcare staff members.
- Utilizing reports and other oversight mechanisms, conduct regular QC of Cultural Orientation and communications-related data in WRAPS and other communications tools such as email systems to verify the accuracy and clarity of information shared with individuals as well as the RSC’s compliance with all USRAP and RSC SOPs. Proactively bring to the attention of supervisor’s communications and CO related backlogs or other issues.
- In coordination with supervisors, liaise as needed with other teams and units in RSC El Salvador and other RSCs. Provide regular reports on the work being accomplished within the team to supervisors and team members.
- Train other communication, compliance and cultural orientation team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage CCC activities, update WRAPS and other databases accurately and to monitor and guide team members and activities.
- In order to develop and maintain cultural orientation training-related skills, participate in and contribute to teacher trainings and staff development seminars and engage in self- directed study for professional development, including reading resettlement updates, language tutorials, attending cultural orientation-related workshops and seminars.
- Undertake duty travel as needed to participate in CCC-related activities, for meetings and for training.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the USRAP, SOPs and WRAPS, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with applicants and colleagues.
- Maintain the confidentiality and integrity of all RSC-related information by implementing control procedures in line with USRAP standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Project Focal Point, Project Coordinator or RSC management of any non- compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by RSC staff members.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- University degree in Social Science, International Relations, Regional Studies, Communications, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience.
- High school degree with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and internet.
- Experience working with international cooperation and humanitarian organizations is an advantage
- Experience in customer service.
- Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to organize.
- Self-motivated and objective driven
Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written)
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. – Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. – Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. – Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. – Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. – Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. – Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by by November 18th , 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Any offer made to the candidates in relation to this vacancy is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
KEEP IN MIND:
- The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for
- The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English.
- Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration.
- Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered.
- This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country.
- The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB.
From 4.11.2022 to 18.11.2022