The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor, TVET
Vacancy No.: 067
Location: Benin City, Edo, Nigeria with regular travel to other States covered by the project
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries (December 2017). GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974.
- From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 280 national and 51 international employees and 4 integrated specialists are working in the country (as of 31.12.2018).
Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme:
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET).
- Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the matchmaking between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The Technical Advisor TVET supports the SKYE Programme in:
- Achieving the project objectives in TVET formal technical education and apprenticeship
- Actively being part of the policy development activities and the scope of public -private policy dialogues at federal and state level for reform of the TVET policy in the country; with focus on interactions with key Partners such as Ministry of Education, Board for Technical Education, National Board for Technical Education and on respective Edo State partners.
- Facilitate translation of good practice piloted at the Federal and/or State levels into plans within existing public-private / privateprivate sector platforms and programmes.
- Work closely with SKYE Gender Focal Person and M&E expert to ensure gender inclusion and completeness of data according to SKYE output indicators in all project activities
- Work closely with SKYE communication experts to guide the conceptualization of activity report for internal and external communications
- Identifying and analyzing relevant critical issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented policy recommendations.
- Advising on sector specific and vocational education oriented (further) training for master craftsman / technical vocational teachers / in-company trainers in the construction sector – in close coordination with the technical team.
- Coordinate the methodological-didactical teacher coaching programme activities to be implemented with support of HFLT in Germany.
- Coordinate the – up-skilling coaching programme activities for school managers to be implemented with support of HFLT in Germany.
- Managing knowledge by disseminating and documenting knowhow, experience, and information. Maintenance of a good flow of communication and information with the main political and operational partners as well as with all other involved institutions and stakeholders.
- Be SKYE focal point for coordination of other GIZ programmes and projects active on TVET sector (SEDIN, GIAE, NICOP, PMD, NESP etc), to ensure alignment of GIZ structures and training approaches with the NSQF/NVQ Standards systems.
- Achieving the project objectives, by ensuring that the advisory services to partners and the capacity development of partners supports these objectives (in areas such as training implementation, policy development, private sector partnerships, career guidance, digitalization of TVET including sensitization and network development.
- Ensuring proper capacity development services to partners and the capacity development of individuals, networks, organisations or political institutions on TVET and apprenticeship.
- Development of training concepts, identification and selection of training providers, training preparation and implementation.
- Ensuring that results of programme interventions are backed up by reliable data, well documented, visualised and contributing to the monitoring & evaluation report of SKYE Programme.
- Developing proposals for additional interventions that support TVET system in Edo State.
- Both independently and in collaboration with SKYE colleagues (and under the supervision of the team leader) in Abuja plans, designs, prepares, organizes, coordinates and implements interventions and activities e.g. baseline and other studies, trainings, seminars and workshops, and prepares related budgets, networking events, linkages, awareness and sensitization campaigns.
- Supports the identification of consultants and trainers, drafting of
- Terms of Reference and oversees the quality assures and performance of national and international consultants.
- Provides strategic, operational, and other technical support to stakeholders and partners at state and local levels.
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of operational plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts to ensure quality and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives.
- Supports and takes responsibility for the achievement of any other task as needed and assigned by the management.
- Identify synergies and promote as well as coordinate activities with stakeholders and partners
- Independently plans, designs, prepares, organizes, coordinates and implements interventions and activities e.g. trainings, seminars and workshops, budgets, networking events, linkages, awareness and sensitization campaigns.
- Supports the identification of consultants and trainers, drafting of ToRs and oversees the quality control of the performance of national and international consultants
- Support of the existing multi stakeholder dialogue platform on Employment Promotion in Edo State
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of SKYE plans and activities relating to his/her portfolio, in close consultation with counterparts to ensure quality and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives.
- Provide support for SKYE policy development processes and practices
- Facilitation of partnerships between the private sector and training institutions to ensure the demand-oriented skills development with specific focus on construction and agriculture/agro-processing sectors.
- The advisor should also scope for additional sectors with high employment potential.
- Ensures knowledge transfer of relevant information to the unit or programme
- Documents and adequately labels all relevant files for future use on the relevant servers
- Prepares appropriate input for various unit/ programme reports including annual reports, presentations and contributes to the other reports required by the programme
- Assesses and analyses existing interventions in the country to support strategic decision-making and advisory services for partners.
- Provides relevant information and other input into the TVET Policy development process in the country
- Provides relevant data and other input into the Projects’
- Monitoring and Evaluation systems.
- Assists in preparing, conducting, and documenting internal meetings.
- Assists in preparing, conducting, and documenting meetings with partners.
- Assists in keeping track of processes and actions required.
- May be assigned other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or B.Sc. plus equivalent work experience) in Technical areas such as T/A-VET, Education, Engineering, Economics, Social Sciences or in a similar area.
- A first level vocational qualification will be an added value.
- Minimum of five (5) years of post-graduate professional experience with national and international organisations, private sector companies or government institutions in the field of T/A-VET.
- Experience in the Nigerian TVET sector
- Work experience in the field of vocational training, employment promotion or career guidance is an asset.
- Proven excellent knowledge of the English language, both oral and written
- Exceptional analytical, conceptional and organizational skills
- Full proficiency of standard MS Office applications.
- Willingness to strengthen skills and competences as required by the task to be performed in line with measures agreed with the supervisor and management
- Willingness to travel to the field and other programmes offices in Nigeria
- Good communication skills
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility.
Desired Additional Qualifications, Competences and Experience:
- Work experience in the context of donor funded technical assistance projects or programmes in Nigeria or the region
- Experience with Dual Vocational Training Systems is considered a strong asset
- Work experience in Edo State, knowledge of TVET institutions (such as NABTEB, NDE, technical colleges, etc.) on ground or region
- Skills on data collection, analysis and visualization is considered a strong asset
- International exposure
- Knowledge of issues of gender equality
- Knowledge on value chain development
- Knowledge of security related skills.
According to GIZ Nigeria Salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
3rd August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: email@example.com using “Vacancy No. 067” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.