The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor on Organizational Development and Capacity Building
Vacancy No.: 088
Location: Benin City, Edo
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974.
- From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme:
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET). Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.). The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
The Technical Advisor is reporting to the team leaders and has the following responsibilities:
- Provide and ensure systemic capacity and organizational development to relevant partner organizations.
- Provide professional advisory services, coaching and trainings to relevant partners of the project to improve their organizational development.
- Build up personal and institutional capacities of partner organizations and foster their willingness to develop and upgrade their performance.
- Build up partnerships, networks, and dialogue platforms to promote employment in the various intervention regions.
- Support the implementation of the program objectives.
- Support the project planning and the conceptual development including preparation and organization and facilitation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, evaluation, communication, and documentation:
- Carries out comprehensive diagnostic assessments of the organizational capacity of project partner organizations, to determine current state (AS-IS) of the Structure, People, and Processes.
- Conduct competency assessments to determine skill gaps; review the structure to suit the organization’s mandate, and the processes, to achieve efficiency
- Develop ready-to-use strategies, innovative initiatives, and concepts, including guidelines, manuals, and procedures.
- Benchmark against similar local and international organizations with best practices and create a model organization (TO-BE)
- Prepare systemic capacity development modules and recommended courses for trainings to fill skill gaps discovered from assessments
- Create performance scorecard to monitor implementation of the organization’s strategies
- Facilitate change management initiatives to prepare, support, and assist individuals and teams, to align with company goals.
- Manage adaptation with organizational culture Analyze lessons learnt and compile best practices for project implementation.
- Draft reports, articles, and other written documents in English.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Organizational Development, Business Psychology, Human Resource Management, Change Management, or similar fields.
- Minimum of five (5) years of proven professional experience in the field of organizational development, HR- Management, Change Management, or strategy consulting.
- Ability to demonstrate up to date knowledge of theory and good practice in key areas: organizational development particularly around change management and developing organizational culture.
- Experience of, and commitment to, continuous organizational improvement and the ability to act as a change agent.
- Strong coaching/mentoring skills.
- Commitment to high standards and continuous improvement
- Proven experience in working within international team;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (including a high level of empathy paired with the capacity to stay confident, serious, professional, and respectful even in critical situations).
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
Desired additional qualifications, competencies, and experiences:
- Skills on data collection, analysis and visualization is considered a strong asset
- International exposure
- Knowledge in issues of gender equality
- Knowledge on employment promotion, TVET or private sector development.
- Language Skills in local languages Edo/Bini
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4
Application Closing Date
4th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 088 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.