World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Surveillance Data Manager (SDM) – NOB
Job ID: 2205840
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 Months
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
- Nigeria has made significant progress in polio eradication program and certified polio free while striving to interrupt cVDPV2 outbreak. The Nigerian national authorities have intensified efforts to interrupt circulating poliovirus transmission within the shortest time possible. Intensified polio eradication activities are being undertaken in a manner that would complement ongoing efforts including innovative surveillance activities.
- Therefore a strong Monitoring and evaluation system with accompanying data management is indispensable for better guiding the program towards the goals. Data Management supported by latest technology and innovation is a very crucial component to ensure effective implementation of the EPI activities.
Main Objective of Assignment
- The objective of the post is to ensure WHO data management and M&E activities at national level and real time basis information for actions aimed at supporting the country to:
- Ensure availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the surveillance and immunization program
- Monitor achievement of recommended surveillance performance indicators for Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP), other Vaccine Preventable Diseases as well as other diseases of public health priority as highlighted in Nigeria’s Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy.
- Provide evidence through the triangulation of different data available and guide the program.
- The incumbent is expected to support the country office polio and non-polio surveillance data management, Monitoring and evaluation activities.
Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and over all supervision of PEP/Polio focal point and guidance of the M&E Coordinator, the Data Manager will carry out the following specific task:
- Establish, maintain and up-date surveillance data in polio (AFP, LAB, and ES) and non-polio (Measles, NNT, YF, NV etc)
- Based on request from program managers, assist in the development of surveillance data quality and harmonization tools and support zonal data managers to ensure quality data.
- Triangulation, analysis and feedback of data collected using traditional system and mobile devices and associated programme priority data on periodic basis.
- Produce periodic (weekly, monthly and quarterly) analysis feedback from surveillance data to enhance decision making at relevant levels.
- Data management support for zonal and laboratory data managers through training and capacity building.
- Provide regular feedback on data quality, timeliness and completeness to lower level.
- Facilitate quarterly data harmonization meeting among zonal, laboratory, and government data managers.
- Support scripting of ODK data collection checklist development.
- Support National Polio Expert Committee (NPEC) and NCC in the classification of AFP cases and preparation of periodic report.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
The following Key Performance Indicators will be monitored to assess the contribution of the incumbent towards the overall assignment objective:
- Establish, maintain and up-date polio and non-polio surveillance database pertaining to each programmatic area in WHO country office and beyond.
- Produce monthly and quarterly analysis feedback from polio and non-polio surveillance data to enhance decision making at relevant levels.
- Data management support for to different working groups, including NPEC and NCC
- Support ODK scripting and checklist design for different units within WHO and beyond.
- Provide weekly, monthly, and quarterly feedback to lower level depending on the frequencies of data flow
- Facilitate quarterly data harmonization and capacity building efforts.
Cross cutting Tasks:
- Data Analysis tool development to enhance data quality and analysis output.
- Ensure back up of all databases on regular basis.
- Essential: University Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Monitoring & Evaluation or Data Management related field from an accredited institution.
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Monitoring & Evaluation or data management related field from an accredited institution.
- At least 2 years’ experience in health-related data management function.
- Experience in data quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
- Experience in database development, electronic and mHealth tools development, ICT and server management.
- Working knowledge of statistical application programs (EPI INFO, SPSS, STATA etc.) and mapping programs (ArcGIS/QGIS) within the UN or WHO.
- Working knowledge of ODK, Power BI and TABLEAU.
- The SDM (Surveillance Data Manager) will report to the M&E Coordinator and to the Data Management FP.
- Overall Technical Guidance for the programme will be provided in line with national guidelines by the EPI Team Leader as well as M&E Coordinator.
- Overall policy and managerial support and guidance will be provided by the WHO Representative in Nigeria.
- Expert knowledge of ICT, programming, mobile and web – based data technology.
- Producing result
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
- Excellent knowledge of English language.
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2022 (10:59:00 PM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.