Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services ( UNOPS ) is the United Nations operational resource for procurement and contract management, as well as civil works and physical infrastructure development. It focuses its action on the areas of its mandate established by the General Assembly and its Executive Council, while collaborating with other United Nations agencies, funds and programs on joint projects.
UNOPS supports local and national governments to maximize the efficiency of public investment, promote transparency, fight corruption and adapt to each country the best practices available worldwide to strengthen national capacities in the areas of acquisition, public infrastructure and project management.
With more than 8,000 employees spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 3,000 projects for our partners, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results in these regions, often in the most challenging environments.
In Latin America and the Caribbean, UNOPS adapts its approach to the local context, providing a wide range of strategic solutions to improve member countries’ efforts to achieve Agenda 2030 priorities. In addition to regular activities, it works to preserve and enhance natural, cultural and human resources and reduce disparities and inequalities.
UNOPS supports partners in its international cooperation activities through emergency humanitarian response actions, through donations of food, medicines and other items of need, to serve countries in situations of crisis or vulnerability. In addition, UNOPS supports partners in the transport of donations made by other countries to Brazil, in international humanitarian cooperation operations.
The Associate / Project Management Support ( Logistics and Foreign Trade ) will primarily provide technical support to UNOPS Brasil projects related to foreign trade, logistics and international cargo transportation.
The Associate / a to support project management ( Logistics and Foreign Trade ) will be responsible for planning, contracting, monitoring and quality control of export and import logistics activities, that involve the transport of goods, such as medicines, vaccines, food, among others ( including loads with temperature control and dangerous loads ), in all its stages, to several countries.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the contractor will be responsible for performing the following functions:
- Develop terms of reference for contracting transport and other necessary services ( eg insurance, storage, customs advice ) for the transport of donations from Brazil to other countries and vice versa, in accordance with UNOPS hiring policies.
- Support to plan and establish the technical requirements of the services to be contracted, ensuring the quality levels applicable to the case.
- Support in the development of hiring documents and in the evaluation of processes for the acquisition of various goods, as requested by the partner and with due technical monitoring, when necessary.
- Launch and monitor hiring processes, when applicable.
- Provide technical clarifications during hiring processes.
- Support with the evaluation of proposals received.
- Analyze and monitor the hiring of the requested logistics and procurement services.
- Support the monitoring of signed contracts and request payments and additives, if necessary, in accordance with UNOPS rules and procedures.
- Support the coordination of the schedule of activities for the goods purchased and the applicable logistics services.
- Make and check documents necessary for logistical activities.
- Support to evaluate and systematize information about logistical activities contained in internal UNOPS documents, presenting technically based suggestions, when applicable.
- Contribute to the knowledge network in the logistics area, systematizing lessons learned and sharing good practices.
- Organize training to share knowledge in the area of expertise with the team.
- Structuring, preparation and review of technical documents.
- Ensure communication with the partner to define activities and their schedules.
- Ensure dialogue with beneficiaries so that they are prepared to receive donations.
- Participate in person and / or by video of meetings with partners and beneficiaries.
- Prepare minutes of technical meetings and presentations, when necessary.
- Maintain project document management.
Education / Experience / Language requirements
- High school diploma.
- Desirable university degree / Bachelor of Foreign Trade, Business Administration, Economics, or related areas ( allows you to replace years of experience )
- Desirable Postgraduate / Specialization in Foreign Trade or International Logistics ( allows replacing years of experience )
- Exige-se 6 anos de experiência profissional relevante em atividades de gestão e suporte de logística internacional e comércio exterior, preferencialmente em cargos de coordenação ou líder de equipe.
- É necessária experiência em transporte internacional (importação e exportação) de cargas gerais;
- É desejável experiência em transporte internacional (importação e exportação) de vacinas e medicamentos, com controle de temperatura;
- É desejável experiência em transporte internacional (importação e exportação) de materiais perigosos;
- É desejável experiência em transporte internacional (importação e exportação) de itens com autorização (ex.: ANVISA, MAPA, IATA, IMO).
- É desejável experiência em tributação para importação e exportação de bens;
- Experiência anterior de trabalho em uma agência da ONU será um diferencial.
- Complete fluency in Portuguese ( reading, writing, speaking )
- Desirable reading, writing and oral communication at an advanced level in English.
Integrity and Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Follows organizational and ethical standards. It is fully reliable. It is an example for others in terms of diversity and inclusion.
Leadership: It acts as a positive example contributing to team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Team managers only: Acts as a positive example of leadership, motivates, directs and inspires others to be successful using appropriate leadership styles.
Partnerships: It demonstrates an understanding of the impact of its role on all partners and always puts the final beneficiary first. Establishes and maintains strong external relations in addition to being a competent partner for others ( if relevant ).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for you and / or others in order to achieve an objective. The actions lead to the complete accomplishment of the task with attention to quality in all areas. See opportunities and take the initiative to take advantage of them. It believes that the responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a dynamic environment. It is able to adapt its approach effectively to respond to changes in circumstances or requirements. It reflects on experiences and changes their behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. It always seeks continuous improvement.
Focus on solutions: Evaluates data and courses of action to arrive at logical and pragmatic decisions. It adopts a rational and biased approach, with calculated risks. Uses innovation and creativity in problem solving.
Effective communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open way. Their communication indicates consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. It deals effectively with conflicts by overcoming differences of opinion and finding a middle ground.Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA Support, Level 06 Contract modality: Local-Regular Individual Contractor Agreement Contract duration: Regular ongoing contract This contract is established in the form of a regular monthly contract, which means that the contract refers to a provision of continued service making payments at the end of each month. CRITERION: It is mandatory to have Brazilian nationality or valid work visa that is not linked to UNOPS.
For more details regarding the ICA contractual modality, visit: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspxAdditional Information
- Unsolicited applications will not be accepted.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only the selected candidates will be contacted, and they will be called up for the next phase of the selection process, which consists of several evaluations.
- UNOPS celebrates diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunities. The UNOPS workforce is made up of people of different nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations and skills. UNOPS aims to maintain and strengthen this diversity to guarantee equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive work environment for its entire workforce.
- UNOPS encourages qualified female candidates, as well as qualified candidates from underrepresented groups in the UNOPS workforce, to apply. These groups include people from racial or indigenous groups, members of gender identities and minority sexual orientations, as well as people with disabilities.
- UNOPS would like to ensure that all candidates perform as well as possible during the evaluation process. If you are selected and need additional assistance to complete an assessment test, such as reasonable accommodation, inform the human resources officer when you receive the invitation.
Terms and conditions
- For public positions, UNOPS reserves the right to nominate a candidate for a lower level than that published in the vacancy notice.
- Temporary contract holders must complete a series of mandatory courses before starting to provide services to UNOPS. These courses must be completed outside UNOPS hours worked and the total approximate duration is about four hours. For more information on retention contracts, see this page.
- All UNOPS personnel have a responsibility to carry out their tasks in accordance with the United Nations Charter and UNOPS policies and instructions, as well as the corresponding liability structures. In addition, all employees must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals in line with the fundamental values of the United Nations and Our Common Agenda.
- As part of its policies, UNOPS performs background checks on all potential candidates. Recruitment at UNOPS depends on the results of such checks.
CLICK TO APPLY