Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political, and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars, and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency. The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In mid-2018, PUI developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In 2018, PUI also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
The severity of the needs and the reduction of the humanitarian access make PUI positioning in Health and Nutrition crucial, especially in Monguno where PUI has taken over some core activities from ALIMA at the beginning of 2021, after they closed their program there. At the end of 2020, PUI launched an exploratory mission, along with INGO colleagues in Zamfara State (Northwest) and has developed a strategy for its upcoming intervention in the area. In 2022, PUI continues with its intervention as it considers the opening of PULKA field office, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center Nurse
Location: Pulka – Gwoza LGA, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Responsibilities and Tasks
Consultation and Patients Care:
- Welcome patients to the facility cordially and systematically to facilitate their adjustment and ensure quick recovery.
- Apply the procedures of triage and perform admissions for the new cases as per the protocol
- Ensure quality and timely identification and treatment of medical complications associated with malnutrition in liaison with the Physicians
- Following and adhering to current protocols on drug administration; give and advice on the drug regimen for the patients
- Providing appropriate nutrition counselling and health education to the mothers and caretakers in the SC based on the protocols and guidelines.
- Ensure adequate availability of all drugs and nutrition supply and ensuring stock is pre-positioned as planned.
- Completing and updating patient file to ensure a track of patient progress.
- Compiling statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent death) and drafting a report on activities
- Supervise and coordinate the strict patient management in the Stabilization center and ensure the laid protocols are followed
- Participate in daily SC ward rounds with the Physicians and fill the patient cards after the round, medications and other patient examinations or procedures
- Strictly monitor and record the vital signs regularly as in the protocol and report any deviation from the normal
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment, and procedures are properly carried out and documented on patient’s charts
- Refer to the doctor in charge or to the doctor on call relevant information such as patient’s status and laboratory results, which would assist in proper clinical management
- Monitor therapeutic Feeds and ensure that children get 3 hourly therapeutic feeds as required
- Carry out regular procedure like taking blood samples, providing IV medications and other necessary procedures as per the physician’s prescriptions
- Facilitate a timely referral of complicated SAM cases from the OTPs to the SC and vice versa and accompany patient when necessary.
- Provide all other necessary nursing care and procedures for the patients.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living while in the ward.
Team Management and Internal Coordination:
- Provide regular mentoring and on-the-job training for the SC Nutrition Feeding Assistants
- Ensure caretakers of SC patients receive appropriate nutrition education and referred and linked to community IYCF team
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
- Maintain equipment’s in good condition and submit regular inventory report
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with universal standards, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Adhere to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Maintain registration and track the consumption of medicines, therapeutic foods and other consumables and share the report with the SC ward head physician
- Responsible for the collection, compilation and analysis of quality data and production of the required reports for the SC activities in charge.
- Ensure that all admissions, discharges, transfers, and deaths are properly recorded as they occur
- Report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities.
Specific Code of Conduct:
- Ensure that SC beneficiaries, caretakers and members of the community are always treated respectfully
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all time
- Respect the rights of the patients and caretakers/attendants under his/her care
- Actively promote PSEA (prevention Of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within PUI and amongst beneficiaries served by PUI
- Compliance and ethics: promote and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout PUI, as applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of PUI and donor compliance and ethics standard and adhere to those standards. conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
N300,000 – N371,000 monthly.
Application Closing Date
12th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online