Organizational and context scope
Movements in West and Central Africa (WCA) are complex and perilous. The WCA region has experienced a variety of migration flows caused by population pressure, poverty, poor economic performances and endemic conflicts. Despite the myriad of challenges and risks faced by irregular migrants from WCA, irregular migration remains commonplace. Large numbers of West and Central Africans without the option of migrating regularly have no alternative than interacting with smuggling networks, which significantly increases migrants’ vulnerability to violence, exploitation and abuse.
The regional office is implementing two projects to respond to above mentioned protection challenges:
The first one is named Assistance to vulnerable migrants stranded on the central Mediterranean route (AVUMED II). Objective is to contribute to reducing the vulnerability of stranded migrants on West and Central African migration routes.
The second one is named West and Central Africa: addressing multisectoral protection needs of people on the move on the Central Mediterranean Route (CMR) (RAMMP). Objective is to contribute to addressing the multi-sectoral protection needs of migrants in West and Central Africa, through evidence-based and comprehensive policies. This will be achieved through:
strengthened protection of migrants on the move along the CMR through informed policy formulation and implementation (Governance).
and effective mechanisms to ensure better migration management and coherent operational responses (Management).
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Protection Specialist (RTS PXD) and direct supervision of the Regional Programme Officer (PXD), in collaboration with relevant units, and in close coordination with the Project Officer for AVUMED II, the successful candidate will provide specialized programmatic and administrative support to these two regional projects, RAMMP and AVUMED II.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
1. Assist in the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of RAMMP and AVUMED II project activities, in close coordination with the Regional Programme Officer (PXD) and the Project Officer (AVUMED II).
2. Coordinate the administrative and accounting tasks related to the project outputs (such as the organization of TDYs, trainings, meetings, workshops and other events, online or in person), in close liaison with IOM support units (logistics, procurement, finance, resource management, and other relevant focal points) and service providers, adhering to IOM’s internal procedures and collecting proper documentation in a timely manner.
3. Organize TDYs, remote or in person trainings, meetings, workshops and other events with relevant units at RO including the Regional Data Hub (RDH), Migration Health Division (MHD), Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI) and Integrated Border Management (IBM) units (support preparation of agendas, materials needed, attendance sheets, etc), and ensure timely information-sharing on these events.
4. Draft correspondence, reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentations and other forms of documentation needed for the projects.
5. Support the development and updating of external informational, visibility and communication materials, including content for IOM Fact Sheets, stories, summaries of events, etc.
6. Organize internal meetings for the follow up of the projects with all units, take notes and file appropriately.
7. Support translation of presentations, short documents and communications from English to French and from French to English.
8. Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records of the same.
9. Participate in meetings and conferences; maintain effective liaison and coordination with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
10. Monitor work of implementing partners and report any non-compliance to the supervisor.
11. Provide inputs for the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) and concept papers and provide general support for the development of new projects.
12. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent with six years of relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage;
- Previous experience with regional programmes and/or working with different countries in West and Central Africa is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills and high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word and Teams Tasks;
- Knowledge of IOM financial, procurement and/or human resources rules and regulations is a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English and French (oral and written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication and explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications (CV and cover letter in a unique PDF file) to: email@example.com by 08 February 2023 at the latest, with email subject: ‘ROWCA-HR-23-002-SVN’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.