The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of Parliament in 1960. This Act depicts that the NRCS is recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a community based Voluntary Aid Society, auxiliary to and complementing the public authorities in the area of humanitarian interventions.
- Experience 5 years
- Location Abuja
The Special Assistant (Secretary General) will be responsible for providing strategic and operational support to the Secretary General in the execution of strategic and operational activities.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Special Assistant (Secretary General) has the following responsibilities:
- Support the Secretary General in coordinating the substantive preparations for the relevant discussions of the Governing Board and Coordination Meetings and engagements with other Partners, Donors and MDAs.
- Conduct all necessary background and preparation work for the Secretary General to take key strategic and operational decisions
- Liaise with key officials of Governmental, Nongovernmental and other Humanitarian agencies on behalf of the Secretary General to establish collaborative partnerships.
- Manage the official calendar and schedule of the Secretary General
- Perform other duties in support to the senior management processes as may be directed by the Secretary General
- Book appointments and organize meetings with relevant persons to ensure effective use of executive time
- Draft correspondence to key partners and stakeholders on behalf of the Secretary General
- Handle the Secretary General’s local and international travel arrangements
- Take minutes during meetings, prepare reports of meetings and summary of briefs for use by the Secretary General and other stakeholders
- Receive, open and prioritize all incoming mail, ensuring all correspondence is dealt with swiftly
- Receive and screen incoming calls and deal with enquiries whenever appropriate with tact and diplomacy
- Maintain effective and comprehensive electronic and paper filing systems to ensure efficient flow of correspondence, documentation and ease of access
- Carry out research, and assist in the preparation of speeches, presentations and report materials when requested
- Ensure the Secretary General’s official documents (passport, visa, insurance policies, memberships, etc.) are renewed before their expiry
- Ensure the protection, security and confidentiality of all files, records and reports
DUTIES APPLICABLE TO ALL STAFF
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of management and staff, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Quality of presentations, speeches, meeting minutes and other documents prepared
- Efficiency of schedule management
Qualifications and Experience
- First degree in Public Administration, Business Management, Law, Linguistics or related discipline from a reputable institution
- Post-graduate degree in Public Administration, Business Management from a reputable institution
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience reporting directly to senior management
Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools- MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Ability to identify problems, determine possible solutions and actively work to resolve issues
- Ability to meet work efficiently under pressure and deliver under tight deadlines
- Ability to work across boundaries and build positive working relationships internally and externally
- Professional discretion and confidentiality
- Friendly and professional demeanor
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: [email protected] using the position as subject of email.
State the Position applied for/Name of Applicant as subject of the email
Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.