Mercy corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 43 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Field Supervisor
Location: Jere LGA, Borno
Employment Type: Volunteer
Slots: 10 Openings
Program / Departmental Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from the Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA), Mercy Corps is scaling up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area under the project titled Transitioning Households to Recovery from Vulnerability (THRIVE) in Jere.
- The THRIVE project will provide context-specific humanitarian assistance with the goal of initiating early recovery in four wards in Jere LGA: Mairi, Mashamari, Dusuman, and Maimusari.
- The two-year consortium project will operationalize an area-based approach to advance participants from lifesaving assistance to life-building support.
Essential Job functions
The Shelter Field Supervisors will assist the shelter team in day-to-day implementation of all activities in the areas of intervention. The task will include (but not limited to) the following:
- To supervise the Master artisans, carpenter, and mason on daily basis.
- Act as site foreman under the shelter Officer.
- Assist the shelter Officer to ensure works are implemented according to plans and completed withing the designated timeframe.
- Monitor the quality of shelter materials against the vouchers.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outline in MC policies and procedure and manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a matter as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Support in the implementation of transitional, emergency shelter construction and shelter repairs.
- Distribution of beneficiaries’ handover certificate and other shelter related document to beneficiaries.
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness, and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to shelter activities.
- Assist in Routine monitoring of project activities and report feedback from the community and stakeholders to the shelter officer.
- Establish and maintain good working relationship with local authorities, communities, and stakeholders in MC area of intervention.
- The Shelter Field supervisors shall work five days/week but can be engaged during weekends (Saturday), 8 hours/day.
- Conduct himself/herself in a manner not to jeopardize Mercy corps mission.
- Moreover, any other task assigned by mercy corps.
Knowledge and Experience
- Diploma in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Building Construction and other related fields.
- Hands on carpentry and/or masonry experience 3 – 5 years.
- Civil works supervision 1 – 2 years demonstrated experience.
- Experience on a similar role.
- Energetic and fit for the job demands.
- Preferably resident of Jere LGA.
- Familiar with the traditional and religious leadership structure.
- Interpersonal skills to work with community leadership.
- Fluency in English and Hausa is required, ability to speak Kanuri is highly desired.
- The contractor is not a Mercy Corps employee and will not as such be entitled to any benefits or compensations outside the monthly stipends to be paid at the end of every month. The Contractor agrees not to disclose any Confidential Information to third parties without the prior, written consent of the disclosing party except as expressly permitted in this Contract.
- If successful, the contract can be terminated by either party with one (1) day notice. Mercy Corps reserves the right to terminate contract without notice if the Contractor violates any of the Mercy Corps standard operating procedures or for disciplinary measures.
- Contractor understands that it is subject to Mercy Corps’ Child Safeguarding, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse of Beneficiaries and Community Members, Anti-Trafficking and Sexual Misconduct policies (available at https://www.mercycorps.org/who-we-are/ethics-policies).
- Contractor must report any violation or suspected violation of these policies in relation to the Contractor’s activities under this contract to Mercy Corps, which may be done via its Integrity Hotline website (www.mercycorps.org/integrityhotline). Contractor will ensure that it has the capacity to abide by these policies, that its employees and subcontractors understand these policies, and that it communicates to its employees and subcontractors.
- Conflicts of interests in the awarding or management of contracts: If a company is owned by, whether directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, any Mercy Corps employee or any person who is related to a Mercy Corps employee, the company must ensure that it and the employee disclose the relationship as part of or prior to submitting the offer.
Application Closing Date
24th August, 2022 at 5:00pm
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications in hardcopy, sealed in an envelope with “Shelter Field Supervisor” boldly written on it to Mercy Corps Nigeria, Maiduguri Office at:
No. 38 Kinshasa Road,
Old GRA, Maiduguri,
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization, Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position