The West and Central Africa region is home to intricate and complex migration flows. It is also affected by a series of sudden and protracted crises generating forced population movements. IOM has been increasingly requested to contribute in estimating, analysing and interpreting trends in migration flows and forced displacement, in addition to better understanding the profiles, needs, vulnerabilities and living conditions of migrants and forcibly displaced persons throughout the region. IOM’s Regional Office for West and Central Africa wishes to strengthen its capacity to collect and analyse data on migratory movements in the Sahel region and more broadly in West and Central Africa, in order to become a reliable source of updated quality migration data and to inform robust programs and strategies in support of migrants within the full range of activities proposed by IOM.
In this context, the IOM Regional Office in Dakar is looking for a Regional Information Management Assistant. Under the direct supervision of the Regional Information Management Officer at the Regional Office, and the overall supervision of the Regional Director, the successful candidate will be in charge of addressing and responding to information management needs within the framework of the regional project EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration funded by the EU Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF). S/he will support countries in the region in setting up, deploying, implementing and harmonizing data processes for a large range of data collection activities (Flow Monitoring, Mobility Tracking, Transhumance Tracking, Migrant Presence) implemented by IOM missions in West and Central Africa, based on migration data standards.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to Country Offices and the Regional Office on the data related components of all DTM tools (including Mobility Tracking, Registration, Flow Monitoring, Transhumance Tracking, Mobility Restriction Mapping, and surveys), as
- Centralize, clean and process DTM data for DTM’s main migration data activities in the Regional Data Warehouse (RDW) in SQL
- Perform data quality and consistency
- Participate in the development of standard data tools (databases, data collection tools, mobile data collection tools, automated analysis) – or, when existing, promote the use of standard migration data tools – for Country Offices and the Regional Office – and monitor coherent and timely use of
- Set up, define and harmonize data processes and standards of data collection and data reporting and verify Country Offices and the Regional Office abide to these
- Compile and aggregate information elements required to produce standardized information products to support the production of regional IM products and support the production of country specific
- Produce summary statistics of Information Management activities in the
- Liaise with HQ on data and server related topics to ensure a coherent and harmonized approach of the region vis a vis the global standards
- Support and leverage geographic data for map production and use in geographic information systems (GIS).
- Ad-hoc support to country offices on database building, XLS forms, IM products, GIS,
- Perform other duties as
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information or Data Management, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- School diploma/certificate with six years of relevant professional
- Experience with relevant software such as ArcGIS, Mapinfo, SPSS, EpiInfo6, SQL Server, and/or
- Experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is an
- Proven experience in statistical information
Experience in designing and formulating IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
- Experience in web design and software development is an
- Fluency in both English and French is
- Working knowledge of a local language a distinct
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested internal and external candidates are invited to submit their applications by e-mail to email@example.com , indicating: « ROWCA-HR-23-005-SVN, Senior Regional Information Management Assistant» in the subject line.
For applications to be considered, applicants are asked to submit applications with a cover letter (no more than one page long) specifying motivation and qualifications for applying, as well as a detailed resume/CV, functional e-mail address and mobile telephone number. Incomplete applications will automatically be rejected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 01 to 15 february 2023