Senior Protection, Gender and Inclusion Officer (Maternity Cover)
Jobnumber : S03113
Contract Type : Employee
Closing date : 22-Mar-2023
Posting Start Date : 12-Mar-2023
Location : THAILAND
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Duration : 6 months
Grade : National Staff
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies (NS). The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by NSs with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member NSs and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
The IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Societies Development (NSD) and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has CCD and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat. The CCD Bangkok covers four countries namely Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam and operates as one joint team to support each country’s NS. The CCD Bangkok also provides secretariat support to the Southeast Asia Red Cross Red Crescent Networks and represents IFRC with the United Nations ESCAP and other regional organizations based in Bangkok.
The IFRC is committed to Protection, Gender and Inclusion as per Strategic Priority 5 (Values, Power, Inclusion) under Strategic Plan 2030. The IFRC has a Protection, Gender and Inclusion Policy (2022) and related Global and Regional PGI Framework covering 1) Institutional PGI Capacity, 2) Programmatic and Operational PGI, 3) PGI Advocacy, Partnerships and Learning.
The PGI Senior Officer supports all three strategic PGI priorities, providing institutional, technical, strategic and operational support in the area of PGI to the IFRC secretariat office as well as the National Red Cross Societies in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Viet Nam and more broadly in Southeast Asia on request. The role is the IFRC secretariat support to the Southeast Asia PGI network and supports with external coordination and advocacy on PGI and Sexual and gender based violence (SGBV), particularly with the humanitarian actors based in Bangkok and with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) secretariat, in coordination with the IFRC’s delegation in Jakarta.
The Senior PGI Officer works as part of a global PGI thematic team and in particular with the Asia Pacific Regional PGI Coordinator, based in Kuala Lumpur, to contribute to regional and global PGI strategies and plans. The role also provides support for the IFRC’s targets on Women in Leadership.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Technical support to NSs in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam (and more broadly in Southeast Asia on request)
- Support NSs with their institutional strengthening in PGI and safeguarding, including development of compliance-based policies, protocols and awareness related to PGI, prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA) and child safeguarding.
- Support NSs to implement global and regional commitments related to PGI, including from the Manila Call for Action targets for Women in Leadership.
- Lead support to societies and their governments with SGBV in emergencies as a follow-up to the research conducted in Southeast Asia.
- Support with leading trainings and workshops on PGI as requested.
- Conduct PGI specific training upon request by NSs or the PGI Coordinator.
- Support NSs emergency response to meet the Minimum Standard to PGI in Emergency Programming and contribute to emergency plans and appeals, related to PGI.
- Support societies to more accurately collect sex, age and disability disaggregated data.
- Provide advice to societies with respect to women empowerment and community resilience program design and implementation.
- Provide secretariat support to the successful functioning of the Southeast Asia Red Cross Red Crescent societies PGI network.
Technical support to IFRC secretariat office
- Support the HoCCD with implementing IFRC’s commitments to PGI within the secretariat office, particularly related to PSEA and child safeguarding policies and procedures, in conjunction with HR.
- Support the HoCCD on promoting and supporting Women in Leadership in Asia Pacific.
Internal and external coordination
- Participate in regular regional PGI officer meetings, monthly updates, data collection and peer-support; coordinate regularly with the regional PGI coordinator.
- Support the PGI thematic engagement under the working group and ASEAN secretariat workplan on SGBV for Southeast Asia, in coordination with the IFRC Jakarta office and Asia Pacific Regional Office.
- Engage with PGI advocacy and coordination with humanitarian actors based in Bangkok including UN agencies. Represent IFRC in the SGBV in emergencies working group and Gender in Humanitarian Action (GIHA) working group on behalf of the Regional PGI Coordinator as requested.
- Represent IFRC in engagement with Asia Pacific humanitarian diplomacy platforms including advocacy on PGI, as relevant.
- Develop advocacy materials and best practice case studies on PGI programming as needed.
- Recruit and manage consultants, surge staff or interns as needed.
- Manage budgets and complete timely and accurate narrative reports as required.
- Contribute to IFRC operational plans for PGI.
Specific Tasks during period of employment:
- Support Cambodian Red Cross to develop draft of PSEA and Child Safeguarding policies
- Support development and rollout of policy action plan
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Provide Secretariat ongoing coordination support to the Southeast Asia PGI Network, including management of Q2 and Q3 meetings and any in person meetings.
- Provide ongoing support and monitoring for the Laos Red Cross policy action plan for Child Safeguarding and PSEA
- Continue PGI/Safeguarding technical guidance for DREFs in Thailand and Viet Nam
- Provide ad hoc PGI and Safeguarding technical support for all DREFs and Emergency Appeals and other IFRC supported programmes, including planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Develop PGI case study or communications story for Cambodian Red Cross
- Prepare meeting materials and advocacy messages for SGBV research publication in Cambodia to share during SEA Leaders’ Meeting
- Maintain strict moral confidentiality and do not disclose neither spread any confidential or sensitive information.
- Organize archives of all reports and documents and treat them as confidential material
- Relevant university degree or similar professional qualification (gender, international relations, human rights, etc.) (Required)
- At least 7 years of experience in PGI mainstreaming or standalone programming in humanitarian context, including proven track record in leading and delivering tools, and technical advisory outcomes. At least 3 years of experience in staff management (Required)
- Possesses a broad understanding of global humanitarian issues and international humanitarian standards for PGI in disaster response. (Required)
- Possesses working knowledge of Gender and Diversity issues in humanitarian and development settings, specifically in the context of Asia Pacific Region (Required)
- Experience with the Red Cross/ Red Crescent (Preferred)
- Experience with other international organizations, large NGOs and /or governmental development agencies (Preferred)
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Ability to facilitate trainings and workshops on technical matters (Required)
- Good analytical skills (Required)
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure (Required)
- Ability to deliver multiple activities with a degree of diversity; ability to create integration across these activities (Required)
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision (Required)
- Ability to work on MS applications e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint (Required)
- Ability to facilitate trainings and workshops on technical matters (Required)
- Fluently spoken and written English (Required)
- Good command of Thai, Vietnamese, Laos or Khmer (Preferred)
Competencies, Values and Comments
Note: Salary Grade 7 (THB 73,796-90,197)
This position is eligible for Thai and foreigner who has working visa in Thailand only