Background Information – Job-specific
Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) is part of the UNOPS Europe and Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grants Management
- Technical and Advisory Services
Project Information The Eastern Partnership European School Phase II Project is the second phase of a wider initiative by the European Commission (EC) for the six Eastern Partnership countries, a flagship Project and one of the “Eastern Partnership – 20 Deliverables for 2020”, to address the needs of youth, focusing on the secondary education. The School for the Eastern Partnership offers high quality education to pupils from partner countries to increase their educational and employment opportunities, fostering cooperation, multi-cultural understanding, tolerance, and fundamental values, and promoting a better understanding of the EU and its engagement in the region. In this phase, a partnership with an existing Tbilisi (Georgia) based school will be developed, which can serve as a launch pad for the European Neighborhood School roll-out. The gradual approach also favors further development and improvement of the school’s operations and educational offer over time. This second phase of the EU School project will involve the construction of two main buildings – academic and dormitory buildings – as well as sport infrastructures, access roads and landscaping works.Functional Responsibilities
- Plan and coordinate work activities under the guidance of the Country Manager.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Country Manager
- Provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery
- Monitor contractor’s presence on the project site
- Provide data and information about project work to the Country Manager for reporting purposes
- Provide weekly and monthly reports detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental, contract management and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Country Manager.
- Manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time, and to the required quality.
- Review the Construction documents as prepared by the design consultant and ensure relevant corrections are made
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis where required
- Manage the internal and external Design Review Process, assist the Design Practitioner in obtaining all the relevant Design Review Certificates
- Liaison with the public agencies, such as the City Hall, MIA and others to obtain all needed approvals, permits and acceptances
- Support the Government entities implementing the project – ESIDA / MoES and the Supervision Company in managing the construction activities
- As tasked by the Country Manager, supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Country Manager in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Manage documentation and reporting of site expenditure and costs, including, but not limited to, contractor progress claims, and procurement of local materials.
- Prepare and maintain site or work package records, including documentation of all phases of the project lifecycle.
- Report project delivery progress against the work schedule.
- Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations.
- An advanced university degree (e.g. Masters) in an infrastructure-related field, such as Civil or Construction Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or equivalent discipline is required. A first-level university degree (e.g. Bachelor) in combination with two (2) additional years of progressively relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree. A technical or professional diploma in combination with four (4) additional years of progressively relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A valid driving license and ability to travel independently is required.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in managing or supervising construction activities related to the project requirements on a range of large and diverse construction projects in a developed commercial environment, requiring the coordination of multiple contractors and multiple trades simultaneously, is required.
- Extensive experience implementing works under complex quality, safety and environmental management plans is required.
- Experience of full time site management directing and mentoring engineering and technical trade staff is essential.
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of infrastructure development sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners including UN organizations is an asset.
- Proficiency with project management, design and planning/scheduling software, and other related software related to the position’s field of expertise is highly desirable.
- Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as the European Union is an advantage.
- Ability to deliver projects on time, within budget.
- Fluency in English and Georgian are required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: L-ICA-10 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspxCompetencies
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.