Position Title: Senior Programme Manager (IBG)
Duty Station: Islamabad, Pakistan
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Pakistan has been working to address challenges in the humanitarian-development-peace nexus towards ensuring that the Government of Pakistan can effectively manage its borders in accordance with its priorities. IOM Pakistan is implementing a range of activities to address migratory challenges and strengthen operational capacities of border management authorities and agencies through a comprehensive migration management and integrated border management system.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and in close coordination with relevant colleagues in the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP), Regional Thematic Specialist (RTS) and Immigration and Border Governance (IBG) Division in IOM Headquarters (HQ), the Senior Programme Manager (IBG) will be responsible and accountable for: the effective development, planning and coordination, management and evaluation of IOM Pakistan’s comprehensive IBG portfolio and major IBG components under various other programmes and projects implemented by the Pakistan Country Office (CO); providing substantive expert technical support and contributing to the Government of Pakistan strategic perspective; and providing oversight to other migration management components in the Pakistan CO.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Act as the IBG expert resource for the IOM Pakistan CO by contributing to all programming and CO consultations to the IBG portfolio, including areas related to migration governance, border management, travel and identity documents, biometrics, training and organizational development for government capacity building and related areas. Actively contribute to project development and implementation.
- Direct and coordinate the development, management, implementation and monitoring of allIBG projects and activities in line with CO’s priorities and strategic objectives, and IOM and donors standards and requirements.
- Lead in the development, implementation and monitoring of IOM Pakistan’s IBG portfolio vision, strategy and activities, aligning it with Government strategic priorities linked to enhanced border management, streamlined border crossing processing, sensitive/ personal data collection, sharing and protection mechanism, inter-agency cooperation. Link and seek synergies between the IOM Pakistan Strategy and IOM’s regional and global IBG strategies, relevant strategies of other UN agencies and donor/ partners’ national, regional and trans regional strategies.
- Ensure development and delivery of quality thematic training/ workshops for the Government of Pakistan (GoP) as required by programme/project outcomes. Help ensure responsive and professional technical support to the GoP through, among other activities, development and provision of information resources and training, border and migration management assessments and related activities.
- Supervise administrative, operational and financial management responsibility for the overall BG portfolio. Manage financial/ budgetary planning, exercise overall quality control and ensure compliance with IOM and donor procedures.
- Oversee and coordinate the recruitment and evaluate the work of short-term experts and consultants contracted in Pakistan under the IBG projects.
- Stay abreast of and assess the latest advancements in IBG strategies and methods and provide guidance and advice on the design, formulation and operationalization of the strategies for relevant GoP actors.
- Lead, manage and coordinate the work of the CO’s IBG team including in policy and legal analysis and research, institutional capacity building and trainings, operations, procurement, monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide relevant strategic advice and expert inputs to the CoM and the senior management for the development of the overall Country Strategy and the implications of established programme policies and needs as well as related governmental policies affecting the work of the CO through policy guidance notes, briefs, talking points and documentation as required.
- Coordinate and supervise the quality and relevance of IBG presentations, talking points, and briefings on project activities and ensure appropriate compilation for presentation and dissemination by establishing and maintaining a knowledge management system for the IBG portfolio and overall Programme Support and Migration Management Division.
- In coordination with the Programme Support Unit, supervise and coordinate IBG staff providing project development, public information, reporting, donor relations, government liaison and information management functions for the CO, in support of broader migration priorities and funding opportunities.
- In coordination with the COM and CO’s relevant units, establish liaison and maintain continuous dialogue with relevant stakeholders (i.e. national governmental authorities, donors, UN Agencies, national and international NGOs, national and international institutions, Private sector) at policy/ strategic level aiming at coordinating and facilitating the implementation of on-going IBG activities and promoting new activities and fund-raising for new projects; identify synergies with IOM’s programmes and make recommendations on donor/partner engagement.
- Lead knowledge management and capacity building activities for IOM Pakistan staff in the thematic area and monitor their performance, contributing to their development and professional growth.
- Provide general oversight to the management of Programme Support and Migration Management Division of IOM Pakistan CO.
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive background and experience in border management, identity management, travel and identity documents, biometric applications in the migration sector and related areas;
- Experience in the filed of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development and management;
- Experience of running large IBM programmes and projects, capacity to deliver IBM-related trainings/ workshops to government officials is required;
- Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/ international institutions and NGOs;
- Extensive work experiences with government and/ or an international organization in the thematic area;
- Substantive experience in project management; programmatically and financially with IOM with a UN agency, or previous work in Pakistan will be an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of IOM project financial management procedures and tools;
- A well developed or expert understanding of immigration and border management issues, issues related to transnational organized crimes and irregular migration, and biometrics in migration applications;
- Understanding of Pakistani public administration system and knowledge of the rules and regulations of governing immigration in Pakistan is an advantage;
- Effective communication skills and ability to maintain professional working relationships with government authorities, national and international organizations as well as programme/ project partners;
- Excellent writing, reporting and analytical skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in Urdu is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 46 Senior Programme Manager (IBG) (P4) Islamabad, Pakistan (57973013) Released
Posting: Posting NC57973014 (57973014) Released