Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Operations Assistant (Movements)
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Classification : General Service (G-6, THB 90,432.33 per month)
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term Contract
Initial 12 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 December 2022
Reference Code : VN075/2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
1. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations for Asia and the direct supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, the Senior Operations Assistant (Team Leader), Movements, is responsible for leading a team of Operations Assistants, with the following duties and responsibilities:
2. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Oversee a team of Movement Operations staff members as they coordinate, schedule, and book travel upon receipt of a travel-ready status and/or request in accordance with travel requirements, including but not limited to the distribution of Advance Booking Notifications (ABNs), updates, domestic flights, cancellations, and departure notifications. Report all issues immediately to the Movement Operations Manager.
- Oversee and plan training for the Movement Operations team members as needed on the movement tools to efficiently and effectively manage their work and conduct quality assurances. Coordinate with Movement Operations Manager and Movement Operations staff members to identify training needs within the unit. Plan, organize, and administer trainings; support the delivery of trainings; learn to deliver, and deliver trainings; Movement Operations Manager and Head of Operations for Asia on trainings that are held and contribute as needed to the development of new training packages.
- Oversee the organization and completion of all bookings in a timely manner and in accordance with the Handbook of IOM Tariffs (HIT) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM). Review compliance with program-specific SOPs for different migrant types and other modes of travel by air, land, or sea. Oversee in coordinating the distribution of travel information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee Movements Operations team members as they compile and analyze descriptive statistics, using I-GATOR to capture costs and prepare travel loan paperwork as specified in SOPs and in accordance with the host government’s procedures. Ensure paperwork is accurate and timely.
- Administer the creation of movement data files, by ABN, for all individuals in accordance with SOPs and for IOM accountability.
- In accordance with local practices and RMM guidelines and standards, and in close coordination with the Movement Operations Manager, oversee the Movements team members as they identify and assign escorts to accompany vulnerable individuals.
- Oversee team members that perform identity and document verification prior to the distribution of travel documentation to refugees, immigrants, and migrants.
- Administer pre-departure counseling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs during travel (such as meals, medication, wheelchairs, and medical conditions) are conducted as needed. Oversee to identify beneficiaries’ vulnerabilities and coordinate appropriate action to ensure they are addressed.
- Under the close supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, liaise as needed with other teams and units in IOM Thailand and with external partners such as airport and government authorities, Embassies and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Movement Operations Manager and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movement-related systems and databases (including iGATOR, MIMOSA, SAR and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM code of conduct and instruction on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Movement Operations Manager or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Six years of working experience with secondary [high school] education
- Four years of working experience with Bachelor’s degree
- Prior experience as operations and movement staff
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet
- Attention to detail and ability to organize
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is required.
- Working Knowledge of French and/or Spanish spoken is an advantage.
5. DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Delivering results: Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Accountability: Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Communication: Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Empowering others & building trust: Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail [email protected] by December 14, 2022 at the latest.
Kindly indicate the reference code VN075/2022 followed by your full name in the subject line.
Applications should include:
a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability;
b) a curriculum vitae;
c) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form which can be downloaded from https://thailand.iom.int/sites/g/files/tmzbdl1371/files/Vacancies/Form/iom-personal-history-form-270122.xls.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 01.12.2022 to 14.12.2022