Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accounting Manager
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria with travel to Abuja and partner and expansion states as needed pending security situation.
Start Date: November 2022
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
- This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers, and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
- The Senior Finance Specialist position will support the Senior Accounting Manager to manage the State2State finance/accounting activities and ensure strong financial management and performance of the project.
The Senior Finance Specialist will:
- Support the Senior Accounting Manager and work closely across project teams on problems involving accounting systems and financial planning.
- Be responsible for providing the appropriate financial and operating information, as necessary.
- Support the Senior Accounting Manager in the review of monthly Field Expense Report (FER) for completeness and accuracy. Provide support to the Finance and Administrative Specialist (FAS) in the six implementing states of the project in resolving state offices’ challenges.
- Coordinate the prompt remittance of Withholding Tax (WHT) for Bauchi Main Office and the six core states.
- Close payments on the DAI customized Technical and Administrative Management Information System (TAMIS) and prompt pay systems.
- Assist the Senior Accounting Manager in analyzing spending patterns and preparing funds requests.
- With the support of the Senior Accounting Manager ensure overall bi-monthly end process and timely closing of accounting books.
- Oversee maintenance of an organized and regularly updated filing system of required supporting documentation to ensure easy access and retrieval, and a reliable and easy to follow audit trail on SharePoint.
- Coordinate with FAS to post all corrections and reversals in VFER as may be advised by HO from time to time.
- Support the Senior Accounting Manager in coordinating the annual and other financial audits—including preparation of supporting schedules and information—respond to auditor questions and consolidate report formats.
- Ensure that all transactions follow DAI/USAID standards, regulations, and policies.
- Help establish and maintain adequate system controls to protect against financial misstatement, in accordance with applicable government accounting and administrative regulations.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of invoices, advances and reimbursements, checks, and wire transfer payments.
- Audit travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance.
- Follow procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel.
- Review and monitor outstanding advances report by paying close attention to advances that have not been settled after 30 days of issuance.
- Ensure that processed payment vouchers are printed and signed by responsible officers, merged with other support documents, and uploaded on SharePoint monthly.
- Fill in for the Senior Accounting Manager when required.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or Chief of Party.
- The Senior Finance Specialist will report to the Senior Accounting Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, or other relevant field is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Professional accounting certification, such as ACA, ACCA or similar certification, is required.
- At least 9 years of practical experience in finance and accounting. Previous experience working on US Government/USAID funded projects highly preferred.
- Strong training, communications, and personnel management skills.
- Previous supervisory experience highly preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Possess a willingness and an ability to train and be trained.
Application Closing Date
14th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online