We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Counsel – Treasury / Capital Markets
- The position is responsible for providing legal advice and services to the Financial Operations Department.
- This includes but is not limited to Treasury operations including long and short-term debt issuance, financial derivatives, collateralization, liquid asset investments, and other finance-related matters, with a view to ensuring the highest standards of legal advice and documentation, protection of the OPEC Fund’s interests and compliance with the OPEC Fund’s mandate, policies, and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Development and Implementation:
- Assist with the development of procedures and guidelines and ultimately the monitoring of their implementation from a legal perspective.
- Support the Financial Operations Department in relevant legal matters to ensure the implementation of the annual work program.
- Support and advise the Financial Operations Department in the negotiation, drafting and review of borrowing documentation at both a program and trade level – including for the issuance of both bonds and commercial paper. This will also include the management of due diligence exercises, auditor comfort letters, and compliance with listing rules.
- Assist in the preparation and review of derivatives documentation, including the negotiation of ISDA master agreements, Credit Support Annexes, and other transaction documents as well as the review of individual trade documentation.
- Maintain/review documentation with the issue and paying agents, custodians, external asset managers, etc. to facilitate OPEC Fund’s payments, investment, and risk management operations.
- Provide legal support to the OPEC Fund’s middle office following the issuance of debt and hedging transactions.
- Report on and provide recommendations to the Senior Director and General Counsel and/or Head of GCLSD-IAU on significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in the area of financial operations.
- Identify issues of importance on finance matters, including external regulation, which could affect the OPEC Fund’s financial operations.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the supervisor that is relevant to the Financial Operations Department.
Research and Analysis:
- Conduct research, analysis, and studies on a wide range of legal issues and developments, including interpretation of legal instruments, and bring them to the attention of the General Counsel and/or Head of GCLSD-IAU together with recommendations thereon.
- Monitor and signal deviations and developments in the application and drafting of frameworks, contracts, policies, and processes related to the legal/compliance/risks of the Financial Operations Department, and if necessary, recommend corrective measures.
Leadership and Direction:
- Participate in the exchange of ideas and knowledge sharing to facilitate the broadening of the skills of the legal team and assist in ensuring skills transfers among Counsels within a formal or informal mentoring or facilitation program.
Stakeholder Management and Engagement:
- As assigned by the General Counsel and/or Head of GCLSD-IAU, represent the OPEC Fund in any external legal proceedings and liaise with external counsels.
- Work with external stakeholders (the senior representatives of co-lenders/ investment funds, partners, and external counsel as required and authorized officials of partner countries/ institutions) and internal stakeholders (e.g. all OPEC Fund departments/ units on the subject of legal services and advice on an ongoing basis).
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the knowledge assets of the department and the document management systems and related materials.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the General Counsel and/or Head of GCLSD-IAU that are related to the job functions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law and Admission to the Bar or equivalent.
- A minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience
- In addition, minimum of 5 years at an externally rated MDB or at an international law firm working with such MDBs.
Skills and Competences:
- High-level skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders and deliver results that meet the needs of the Legal Service Department’s work program.
- Seasoned knowledge in the current trends of development and familiarity with international law, and related matters within the OPEC Fund and other international organizations.
- Capacity to conceive and supervise the negotiation of complex legal documents including ISDA Master Agreements, Global Master Repurchase Agreements, and bond issues (standalone or medium-term note program).
- Ability to work and deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Excellent command of English, including drafting and negotiating legal documents in English. Knowledge of other languages (French/Spanish/Arabic) will be an advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work with little supervision and under pressure.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online