Job #: req22497
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Dubai,United Arab Emirates
Required Language(s): English, Arabic
Preferred Language(s): Russian, Urdu
Closing Date: 5/15/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org .
To support IFC’s activities in the Middle East, Türkiye, Central Asia, Afghanistan and Pakistan region (“MCT”) as well as in Europe (“EUR”), the IFC Legal Department is recruiting a Senior Counsel with international experience, to be based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The position will report to the Assistant General Counsel for Europe, Middle East, Türkiye, Central Asia, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
While the position will be based in Dubai, the following Terms of Reference will relate to work in the entire two regions described above, allowing rich cross border experience. We are looking to enrich our Middle East region with a talented legal team, and the senior counsel position will be key in the team, interacting very closely with our other regional legal and business teams in Istanbul, Amman and Vienna, as well as teams in other regions and in Headquarters/Washington D.C.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Provide advice and support to investment clients in debt, equity, project and corporate financings involving multiple financiers in a broad range of sectors, including infrastructure (transport, power and renewable energy and natural resources projects), manufacturing, agribusiness and services, financial institutions, funds, and blended finance;
- Provide advice and support to clients from IFC’s Special Operations Department related to projects in jeopardy in need of restructuring, workout and other recovery options with a focus on the Arab Middle East region;
- Assume primary lawyer responsibility for new and portfolio investments and advisory services, including infrastructure PPP projects in MCT and EUR;
- Work closely with client departments as needed, as they embark on identifying and assessing Upstream opportunities and advise on the design and implementation of scalable solutions and platforms that can be replicated across markets;
- Advise on the selection of outside counsel in MCT & EUR, manage outside counsel and legal costs;
- Interact and communicate with colleagues in Washington and other regions to facilitate the provision of excellent legal services in EUR & MCT, including providing advice and support to colleagues in Washington and other regions working on projects in EUR & MCT;
- Provide leadership in designing and delivering trainings;
- Take on a leadership role in advising internal clients on institutional and corporate matters;
- Provide general advice and support with respect to all aspects of IFC’s business in MCT & EUR;
- Build strong knowledge about business in the MCT & EUR regions and effectively share knowledge and best practice; and
- Able to mentor junior lawyers and legal staff in the region on IFC products and build capacity on working on complex debt and equity deals.
- Qualified to practice law (admitted to the bar) in either the UK or the US as well as in a jurisdiction in the MCT region;
- Significant experience in project legal documentation governed by English law or New York law;
- LL.M or Master’s degree in Law from an internationally well-known educational institution;
- At least 10 to 12 years of relevant experience, international in its nature, including experience at a leading international law firm and/or international financial institution and/or development institution, in cross border transactions, preferably in developing countries;
- (i) Top level experience working on complex corporate and commercial transactions handled independently (including, secured lending, corporate and project finance, blended finance, and debt and equity financings), particularly in the infrastructure and renewable energy space, (ii) advanced knowledge of insolvency laws and regulations and restructuring options, (iii) advice to clients on structuring, innovation and policy matters and (iv) demonstrated leadership role in non-project assignments and initiatives and legal subject matters;
- Demonstrated ability to assume multiple roles and tasks to meet changing business needs with an ability to foresee, troubleshoot and effectively resolve conflicting issues and challenges;
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk in a practical and responsible manner and make fair, well-reasoned, independent and transparent decisions;
- Familiarity with IFC’s business and policies; Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0;
- Record of professional excellence and thought leadership;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to deal sensitively in a multicultural environment and build and maintain effective working relations with clients and colleagues across IFC, and demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams;
- Demonstrated commitment to core values, including excellence, mutual respect, collegiality, teamwork, diversity and inclusiveness, integrity, innovation, transparency and accountability;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with quick turnaround of assignments;
- Willingness to travel throughout the Middle East, South and Eastern Europe, Türkiye and Central Asia and Pakistan;
- Professional integrity and sound judgment in handling confidential information; and
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic (another relevant language is a plus) and the capacity to present both written and oral ideas clearly, concisely and persuasively at a senior level.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.