Position Title: Results Based Budgeting Officer
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 04 October 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Budget Division of the Department of Financial and Administrative Management (DFM) is responsible for preparing the Organization’s annual Programme and Budget and related documents, provides advice on budgetary matters and establishes guidelines and procedures for preparing Country Offices and project budgets. The Budget Division provides guidance for ensuring that all institutional requirements are incorporated in budgets and prepares the assessment scale used to calculate Member States contributions to the Administrative Part of the Budget. In addition, the Budget Division ensures that all costs are appropriately budgeted to meet the objectives of the Organization’s activities within the limits of available resources.
Under the overall supervision of the Comptroller/Director DFM and direct supervision of the Chief of Budget; and, working closely with other members in the Budget Team, other Divisions of DFM and the Department of Strategic Planning and Organizational Performance (DPP), the Results Based Budgeting Officer will contribute and provide technical inputs towards the development, improvement and operationalization of results-based budgeting and reporting at the institutional level including through the annual Programme and Budget and other budget-related documents.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide advice to defining results-based planning, monitoring, budgeting and reporting and related consolidation in the Organization.
- Provide technical inputs and support consultation in the Organization and with partners and donors to gain relevant support in the transition to Results Based Budgeting and reflect relevant changes in the Programme and Budget document presentation.
- Closely collaborate with the “Plan to Report Workstream” of the Business Transformation Team with a view to optimizing the integration of Results-based Budgeting processes in IOMs new ERP system as well as in IOM’s Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA).
- Review and update existing policies with a view to align these in a manner that they support results-based budgeting practices.
- Recommend change management initiatives to support the required transformation towards results-based budgeting.
- Strengthen institutional budget preparation process by linking budgeting with organizational priorities through a gradual transition from annual expenditure planning to a Results-based Expenditure Framework.
- Develop and implement financial analysis models and organizational performance indicators,with particular emphasis on financial data and develop related monitoring reports and dashboards.
- Provide technical advice and support for collection and analysis of baseline and monitoring data.
- Collaborate and work closely with relevant Units in the context of results-based management and budgeting techniques to harmonize cross-cutting processes and to ensure end-to-end process and data integration.
- Support the budgeting process in alignment with the Strategic Results Framework.
- Lead coordination with consultants engaged in the implementation of results-based budgeting practices.
- Prepare documents, dashboards, presentations, charts, tables and statistics, including through merging relevant information from large datasets for analyses and preparation of reports.
- Provide trainings on budget matters and best practices and contribute to the development of internal guidelines and training materials.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Economics, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience;
- Progressively expanding management experience within an international context in financial management, budgeting, and/or business process improvement;
- Experience and knowledge of Results Based Budgeting techniques and principles. Experience with RBB implementation within the UN context will be a distinct advantage;
- Proven experience in liaison and negotiation with donors and other external parties/stakeholders;
- Sound experience in analysing a wide range of financial documents and reports and in handling large datasets;
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Knowledge and understanding of IOM/UN policies, rules, regulations and instructions on resource management, including finance and budget;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to present information in a comprehensive, clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct analyses, excellent writing skills, accompanied with ability to edit a range of different materials, including but not limited to risk management policies, related instructions, guidelines and reports for different audiences;
- Knowledge of SAP, Oracle and/or other Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, software and procedures. Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools is a distinctive advantage; • Knowledge and understanding of IOM/UN policies, rules, regulations, and instructions on resource management;
- Excellent writing skills. Candidates will be assessed on proficiency to draft reports;
- High level of computer literacy experience in computerized accounting systems and software; advanced knowledge of MS Office specifically EXCEL; advanced knowledge of accounting systems, software and procedures;
- Demonstrated analytical skills applied to large amounts of data from multiple sources;
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop staff;
- Proven ability to identify client needs and match them to appropriate solutions;
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnership with clients.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE,, by 04 October 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 290 Results Based Budgeting Officer (P4) Geneva, Switzerland (57740883) Released
Posting: Posting NC57740884 (57740884) Released