Position Title: Resources Management Officer
Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 04 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Head of Resource Management unit (HoRM), the Resources Management Officer will be accountable and responsible for managing and coordinating the financial resources functions of the Country Office (CO) and sub-offices in accordance with the financial regulations, rules, and procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities in the Mission including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake financial analysis of projects in the Mission.
- Prepare or coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Forecast cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Assist the HoRM in the preparation of the annual budget for the Mission, oversee budget control and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Ensure Missions compliance with the IOM rules on engaging Implementing Partners (IP) and ensure financial verification are completed in a timely manner; provide capacity building of the IP and compliance staff.
- Supervise and coordinate IT, procurement, and logistics services including contracts with suppliers of goods and services and relevant authorities. Oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of the building as well as the functioning of all support services
- Manage human resources functions and processes and make recommendations on recruitment and personnel administration. Apply internal HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases in coordination with relevant units/departments within the Organization
- Liaise with other external and internal functional units of the Mission, such as banks, donors, UN agencies, government counterparts, and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting and administrative function.
- Supervise and train staff and project managers on IOM’s administrative/financial policies and procedures; evaluate regular financial reports and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
- Liaise with relevant units at HQs and RO with regard to the financial and administrative activities of the Mission.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in accounting, financial management and reporting;
- Experience in preparing clear and concise financial and management reports; and,
- Experience working in and with international institutions.
- Knowledge of MS Office products and good computer literacy skills are required;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) an advantage;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting system, software and procedures, Common System regulations, policies and procedures are a distinct advantage; and,
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish, or Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 04 January 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 15.12.2022 to 04.01.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 451 Resources Management Officer (P3) Khartoum, Sudan (57886327) Released
Posting: Posting NC57886328 (57886328) Released