Position Title: Reporting Officer (IBM)
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 30 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Rwanda and direct supervision of the
Senior Regional Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Management (IBM)), the Reporting Officer (IBM) will be responsible for drafting segments of reports and information products of the IBM programme. They will also carry out preliminary research and analysis to support project development activities, the preparation of project proposals, donor reporting for IBM and some IBM operational aspects, as requested by the Senior Regional Programme Manager.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Analyze context and collect data regarding the gaps and needs from the field to support the preparation of project proposals and the annual report.
- Provide specific inputs to support the development of relevant tools such as thematic assessments, beneficiary lists, IBM IBG (Immigration and Border Management Unit) updates, and factsheets.
- Draft specific inputs to contribute to regular and timely donor reporting and generate comprehensive tracking reports of the programme implementation to the Project Officer.
- Utilize mission’s data from the field and produce factsheets and info graphs.
- Provide specific inputs to support the development of project proposals and concept notes in line with donor priorities and IBM IBG Programme strategies in close coordination with the Senior Regional Programme Manager.
- Track and provide information from data requests received from IOM (IOM RO and other missions) and external staff (Resident Coordinator Officer (RCO), working group etc.) in close coordination with the Senior Regional Programme Manager.
- Liaise with IOM Focal persons, humanitarian sector counterparts and implementing partners to assist with the implementation of field operations.
- Carry out preliminary analyses and draft specific inputs to support the expansion of IBM IBG programming.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Developmental Studies, Humanitarian Development, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience supporting project development, scientific or academic writing, as well as routine reporting;
- Relevant experience with lOM/UN or another international organization is considered an advantage.
- Excellent research, writing, communication, and analytical skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports; personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility;
- Excellent communication skills: capable to share ideas and explain results to all levels of the Organization and stakeholders
- Ability to read quantitative findings from different data collection exercises and translate it into meaningful information and narrative;
- Knowledge of migration-related issues particularly with regard to the East and Horn of Africa;
- Ability to present reports to different pools of stakeholders (donors, governments, academics, practitioners, etc.).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 January 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 09 Reporting Officer (IBM) (P1) Kigali, Rwanda (57929664) Released
Posting: Posting NC57929665 (57929665) Released