Position Title: Regional Strategic Plan Implementation Officer
Duty Station: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 21 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Regional Office for South America is currently beginning a strategic planning period in the region, which will involve the monitoring of regional strategy and work plan implementation. In addition, the Regional Office will continue to implement different regional projects with the Regional Office in Buenos Aires as the main management and implementation site. As the strategy is developed and implemented, projects are activated and the regional project and initiatives portfolio continues to grow, the Regional Director is looking for a Regional Strategic Plan Implementation Officer to ensure regional strategies and initiatives are aligned with Headquarters (HQ) guidelines and government priorities and that regional projects achieve the set-out objectives and outcomes according to IOM policies, donor requirements, results-based management principles, and regional strategic priorities.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for South America located in Buenos Aires Regional Office, in close coordination with the Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) and relevant units at the Regional Office (RO), Headquarters (HQ), and Country Offices (CO), the Regional Strategic Plan Implementation Officer will be responsible for coordinating and providing inputs for strategic initiatives and agenda within the Regional Director’s office and providing support in coordinating and executing the activities related to policy and strategy development and regional project implementation, including the management of regional project teams, which will more specifically entail the following responsibilities and accountabilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the regional strategy development and work plan implementation, in coordination with Regional Thematic Specialists, Resource Management Unit (RMU) units, Regional Policy Liaison Officer, Regional Project Development Officer, Regional Knowledge Management Officer, Regional Media & Communications Officer, and Regional Monitoring & Evaluation Officer.
- Ensure alignment of IOM initiatives with regional mechanisms, in coordination with Regional Policy Liaison Officer, the Coordinator of the Technical Secretariat of the South American Conference on Migration.
- Manage, coordinate, and backstop the implementation, evaluation, and monitoring of all regional project activities in coordination with Regional Project Coordinators.
- Support the development of CO national strategies in the region, and as necessary support the Monitoring of the implementation of national strategies, facilitating coordination with RTSs and other key regional stakeholders.
- Identify emerging strategic regional issues, develop talking points, and produce other strategic documents as requested, in coordination with the Regional Media and Communications Officer and Regional Knowledge Management Officer.
- Provide advice, guidance, and inputs to support the alignment of regional strategies and initiatives and the development of new regional programmes/projects in close coordination with the Regional Director, Regional Project Development Officer, and the Regional Policy Liaison Officer.
- Contribute to key project support areas on operational initiatives, including project development and/or event-planning for Knowledge Management.
- Supervise the work of regional project coordinators and teams, in coordination with relevant RTS´ and regional specialists, ensuring that necessary support is provided for the full implementation and continued improvement of IOM´s regional projects.
- Liaise with RTS´ and relevant National Office staff on project management, stakeholder consultations, donor relations and other project-related activities when relevant and/or necessary.
- Request and incorporate inputs and guidance from RTSs on project-related events, activities, evaluations, and outcomes.
- Ensure project outcomes and progress are regularly reported to the Regional Director and align, when possible, with the Regional Strategy and Work Plan for Buenos Aires.
- Coordinate visibility activities and events, in coordination with the Regional Media and Communications Officer, to promote regional project activities and achievements.
- Supervise the preparation of financial and narrative reports for the regional projects.
- Organize capacity-building activities on project management and strategic planning, including PRIMA system and Leveraging Global Frameworks, for RO staff and National Office staff, in coordination with the Regional Monitoring & Evaluation Officer and Regional Policy Liaison Officer at the RO, and in collaboration with relevant units at HQ such as Staff Learning and Development, as well as Policy Coordination units.
- On behalf of the Regional Office, participate in key internal meetings and policy discussions, including task force meetings, working groups and other meetings, provide a variety of policy and strategy related information, and facilitate the consideration of RO insights and guidance in RO and CO programming.
- Represent IOM in stakeholder consultations and external events when relevant.
- Travel to project implementation sites and events to ensure project quality and progress when needed.
- Supervise a multi-cultural team comprised of permanent and temporary staff.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, International Development, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project reporting, development, technical writing, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), preferably in the international development/humanitarian sector;
- Experience in migration issues, including operational and field experience;
- Work experience in regional project development and project implementation, experience in the region an added advantage;
- Proven experience in managing staff from diverse backgrounds;
- Experience in strategic planning and management is an advantage;
- Working experience in the South America region is an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Knowledge of IOM data management systems and regulations;
- Knowledge of the South America region is a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English and Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either Portuguese and/or French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 32 Regional Strategic Plan Implementation Officer (P3) Buenos Aires, Argentina (57963540) Released
Posting: Posting NC57963541 (57963541) Released