Position Title: Regional Information Management and Technology Officer
Duty Station: Brussels, Belgium
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of EUFL/SRRMO for the Regional Office (RO) for
European Economic Area (EEA), European Union (EU) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), the direct supervision of the Regional Resources Management Officer (RRMO), and technical guidance of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Operations Manager, the Regional Information Management and Information Technology Officer will coordinate and support the harmonization and alignment of Information Management and Information Technology activities in the Region as well as the implementation of the ICT Strategy. Under the purview of the RO, the successful candidate will specifically participate in project development, implementation, and will coordinate, oversee and prioritize ICT support to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) operations in the Region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Oversee the execution of the Regional ICT Strategy and corresponding action plans pertaining to the Region and its alignment with the overall Regional and Global ICT Strategy.
- Provide direction, guidance and support to the Country Offices (COs) ICT Teams; and, oversee and support recruitment process of ICT staff in COs. Support CO ICT staff in evaluating, identifying and reporting on resources required (human or financial) and specific ICT requirements in the region. Act as a second manager to CO ICT Officers.
- Provide guidance on information management subject matter to Project Managers. Analyzeproject’s result matrix, identify core project reporting needs and advise on appropriate data collection, and reporting mechanism aligned with organizational and Regional reporting requirements.
- Promote synergies, harmonization and alignment of the ICT activities in the Region and globally. Act as ICT Change Agent and support the implementation of ICT Projects and initiatives within the Region. Support introduction and rollout of technological changes and systems in the Region.
- Promote and support Regional ICT resources sharing, aimed at streamlining ICT support and improving overall efficiencies of the ICT Team. Develop and implement multi-country ICT projects.
- Oversee appropriate coordination and information sharing within the Regional Office and with ICT Central Teams on ICT activities and projects/ programmes.
- Act as a thematic resource person initiating and coordinating capacity building, training, and general ICT and information management support to COs in the Region.
- Contribute to raising awareness and building the capacities of IOM staff about new technologies, ICT initiatives and projects.
- Provide secondary review of the project proposals and the oversight of technical implementation for projects with significant ICT component developed by COs in the Region. Provide regular updates to the ICT Management. Ensure that the ICT component of endorsed projects are consistent with the ICT Strategy, policies and relevant instructions.
- Monitor, propose and implement relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure compliance with IOM ICT Policies and Standards in the region COs and provide periodic reports on regional support provided, incidents such as unplanned system or network downtimes, action taken and status of assigned ICT projects. Support IOM COs remotely as needed within the IOM Regional Office jurisdiction.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Certification in project management methodology – PMI / Prince 2 or equivalent or PMI Agile Certified practitioner (PMI-ACP) will be a distinct advantage.
- Progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems, or related area;
- Experience in managing ICT Projects;
- Experience in managing IM and IT teams on Country, Regional and/or Organizational level; and,
- Experience in Project Review, Result Based Management, mapping information needs and facilitating tracking and reporting on performance indicators.
- Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to influence, lead and communicate at all levels and across multiple lines of business with high motivation, enthusiasm, and dedication to deliver results within strict timeframes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced regional environment including managing across multiple teams, functions and organizations and close coordination with ICT central team, leveraging on-premise and cloud solutions and systems, with Azure knowledge is an advantage.
- Knowledge of business processes in IOM’s or a similar organisation.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft 365 Office tools, specifically MS Project, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) across multiple organizational level audiences.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.