John Snow, Inc., and our nonprofit JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., are public health management consulting and research organizations dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI’s mission is to improve the health of underserved people and communities and to provide a place where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause. For 35 years, Boston-based JSI and our affiliates have provided high-quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs worldwide. JSI has implemented projects in 106 countries, and currently operates from eight U.S. and 81 international offices, with more than 500 U.S.-based professionals and 1,600 host country staff. JSI is deeply committed to improving the health of individuals and communities worldwide. We work in partnership with governments, organizations, and host-country experts to improve quality, access and equity of health systems worldwide. We collaborate with government agencies, the private sector, and local nonprofit and civil society organizations to achieve change in communities and health systems.
- Experience 7 years
- Location Bayelsa , Edo
Position Category: Local hire, paid in local currency
JSI is currently seeking a Public-private partnership Advisor for the USAID-funded Accelerating Control of the HIV Epidemic in Nigeria (ACE_6) Project. JSI will be working with other consortium partners on the ACE award for Cluster 6 (Bayelsa, Edo, and Lagos states) to bring mutually reinforcing technical expertise to address existing HIV service delivery gaps. The ACE_6 project will employ a client-centered approach integrating contextual health systems strengthening (HSS) with comprehensive HIV care, including critical services like gender mainstreaming, mental health, and psychosocial support (MHPSS) interventions, and COVID-19 prevention integration services in the public and private sectors in supported states.
ACE_6 will scale-up comprehensive client and family-centered HIV/TB case finding, linkage, care, and support services, improve maternal and child healthcare, interventions and will also facilitate the expansion and strengthening of the logistics and supply chain management systems at the facility and community levels, within the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Project will strengthen collaboration withthe Government of Nigeria (GON), public-private partnership, domestic resource mobilization, partnership with multi-lateral and other donor agencies for improved ownership, and sustainability of the response.
The Public-Private Partnership Advisor will work from the ACE_6 Project office in Lagos and would be the technical lead for the implementation of all activities. With the support of three officers, the Advisors is expected to:
- Create and support innovative private-sector solutions (for clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, laboratories) to implement differentiated models of care, serving clients accessing services outside the public health system or requiring a hybrid of public and private service delivery.
- Develop innovative Public-Private Partnership (PPP) models for sustainable HIV prevention, care, and treatment in ACE project states and nationally.
- Support data generation, analysis, and use for decision-making on all ACE_6 activities in the private sector.
- Galvanize public and private support for sustainable HIV funding in project states with clear milestones. In the same vein, set up and strengthen the mechanism to document private sector HIV funding in the project states and nationally.
- Initiate and strengthen the mechanism to document private sector HIV funding in the project states and nationally. This will be done in collaboration with the key stakeholders in the private and public sectors including identified private national and multinational organizations in each of the supported states.
The Public-Private Partnership Advisor will be expected to:
- Participate in defining and implementing the project’s technical agenda to support the expansion of HIV care and treatment services in the private sector.
- Contribute to the development of country work plans, designing activities that increase understanding of entrenched obstacles to the involvement of the private sector in HIV care in project-supported states, and work with consortium partners to actively addresses those obstacles.
- Prepare technical documents and delivery presentationson program strategies and findings.
- Mobilize social and political support at all levels to create and sustain an enabling environment for the delivery of interventions.
- Serve as a technical advisor to assigned activities, providing inputs and technical guidance.
- Provide technical support with designing and implementing structured learning, assessments, and evaluations.
- Work with the National Agency for Food Drug and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and other regulatory agencies to strengthen mechanisms to enforce quality standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate a market analysis to evaluate the current and potential market for specific products.
- Identify/map local and regional investors who are committed to social impact/CSR opportunities and facilitate investment opportunities for innovative PS models (digital, service, supply, etc)
- Lead advocacy to state governments (SMOH &SACA) to increase budget allocation for comprehensive HIV services
- Supervise training forprivate providers on technical HIV content areas related to HIV testing and treatment, including differentiated service delivery, HIV/TB, and achieving durable viral suppression.
- Support project staff and private providers in clinical cascade review and continuous quality improvement methodologies.
- Leverage large, highly efficient private sector labs to build the capacity of smaller USAID-supported labs.
- Participate in TMA meetings to support coordination across providers
- Lead regular reporting requirements such as monthly and quarterly reports.
- Represent JSI in project technical meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education: Master’s Degree in Public Health, health policy, financing, or related field.
- Experience: Seven to ten (7-10) years experience with five (5) years of direct experience providing technical assistance on strengthening health services, stakeholder engagement, and policy analysis in the public and private sectors.
- Travel: Ability and willingness to travel to the project-supported states.
- Languages: Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Experience as an advisor to ministries of health, international agencies, and/or NGO public health programs.
- Deep understanding of Nigeria’s health system and prior experience with private sector healthcare services, TMA, or other market-shaping approaches will be an advantage.
- Prior professional experience with national or sub-national HIV program implementation.
- Skilled in health sector capacity building, design of community-oriented strategies to increase coverage, equity, and sustainability.
- Experience using using data for monitoring and decision making. PEPFAR-specific reporting experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervisory skills, and demonstrated ability to build and manage professional relationships effectively with technical experts, other partners and donor agencies.
- Experience working with USAID rules and regulations is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, assess and organize information and communicate to a diverse audience effectively.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks concurrently, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Excellent written and oral communication and computer skills (including with various electronic platforms); technical writing experience (guidelines, publications)
- Strong initiative and self-motivation are required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a non-hierarchical, participatory management environment.
- Experience participating in operational research and developing issue papers and peer-reviewed publications an added advantage.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.