Position Title: Project Officer
Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 10 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
With the overall mandate of promoting safe, orderly and regular migration for the benefit of all, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Protection (PxD) unit in Bangladesh contributes to strengthening counter trafficking response and protecting victims of trafficking or vulnerable returnees.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM), IOM Bangladesh and the direct supervision of the Head of Protection Department, the Project Officer will be responsible and accountable for contributing to the development of and coordinating project activities including the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA)-IOM Comprehensive Programme to Address Human Trafficking in Bangladesh Project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely and efficient coordination, implementation and monitoring of capacity building activities in close coordination with the Head of PxD.
- Assist the Head of PxD Unit in maintaining continuous liaison with donors, project partners,other IOM Country Offices (CO) and Headquarters (HQ) to facilitate a coordinated approach to project implementation, highlight potential synergies with IOM’s programmes and make recommendations on donor/partner engagement.
- Provide guidance, follow up and monitor the implementation of planned activities, including the preparation of project documents and awareness raising campaign materials in close coordination with Migration Policy & Sustainable Development Unit, where necessary.
- Supervise and support project staffs and coordinate the work of consultants in organising logistics, finance, administration and coordination of meetings, workshops, seminars, trainings and conferences at the national level as well as other events deemed necessary by the project.
- Maintain close collaboration and contribute to strengthening partnerships with relevant stakeholders such as Government entities, national authorities, Non-Governmental Organization (NGOs), International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs), Universities etc. to facilitate the enhancement of project effectiveness.
- Participate in and coordinate IOM inputs to Baseline survey and evaluations.
- Assist with compiling interim and final project narrative reports to donors in accordance with IOM procedures and donor requirements in close coordination with the Head of PxD, M&E and the other relevant bodies (e.g. Project Coordination Unit within the office, Project Information Unit and Regional Offices); draft and collate general and specific information on programme activities as requested by donors/external parties, IOM CO and HQ.
- Track project expenditures and assist the Resource Management Unit to prepare financial reports.
- Monitor and provide technical guidance to implementing partners.
- Facilitate the production and strategic dissemination of communication materials that document the process, impact and activities such as capturing case stories for donor reports, website and flash updates based on Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) activities in the project sites.
- Deliver capacity building workshops/trainings of government authorities, NGO partners, and community leaders to facilitate ownership and sustainability of the interventions.
- Supervise the Movement & Operations team on Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) and Voluntary Humanitarian returns (VHR) activities and monitoring of reintegration process.
- Assist the Heads of PxD and Migration Policy & Sustainable Development Unit in harmonizing reintegration standards in the mission in line with IOM’s Integrated Approach to Reintegration.
- Contribute to institutional knowledge management and evidence capture through supporting the creation of information products and ensuring data collection through institutional tools including Migration Management Operational Software Application (MiMOSA).
- Undertake duty travel related to programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, guidance and information exchange, and programme implementation, as required.
- Train, guide and supervise project team and provide necessary support to assist them to execute activities efficiently to meet the project objectives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven expertise in the area of migrant protection, including regional consultative processes, migration data and policy development, counter trafficking and other protection issues;
- Experience either on project development, project management, database management, project monitoring and evaluation relevant to PxD;
- Working experience in direct assistance, project development and implementation, writing and editing technical documents;
- Experience in working on South Asian region an advantage;
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Candidate must be familiar with the UN system;
- Advanced English and Korean writing, communication and negotiation skills;
- Knowledge of project budgeting is desirable;
- Good knowledge of IOM/ UN human resources and financial policies and staff rules and regulations;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Excellent organization skills; analytical and creative thinking.
- High level of accuracy and ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent computer skills, including with Microsoft functions such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint,etc.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge in either Bangla, Korean, French, and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 April 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 122 Project Officer (P2) Dhaka, Bangladesh (58041454) Released
Posting: Posting NC58041455 (58041455) Released