Job Identification : 10284
Locations : Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Posting Date : 04/28/2023, 04:43 AM
Apply Before : 05/12/2023, 01:59 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB5
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Governance
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP, in partnership with the national Parliament of Papua New Guinea and the Bougainville House of Representatives, has commissioned a project aiming to strengthening various aspects of both institutions. Recognizing the critical importance of both institutions to democratic governance, the Parliamentary Strengthening Project – Papua New Guinea and Bougainville, (herein the ‘Project’) will work with both legislatures to:
- Support Members of the legislature to more effectively use their parliamentary powers to engage in debate and oversight of national development activities, in relation to critical topics such as improving public financial management, gender equality, reducing poverty through inclusive economic development and building disaster and climate resilience, in particular through the use of Parliamentary Committees.
- Strengthen the capacities of Parliamentary Committees in both legislatures to undertake effective oversight of key government sectors, through transparent processes aimed at including the perspectives of communities, particularly women, into their deliberations.
- Strengthen the capacities of key parts of the Parliamentary Service to assist their Members to discharge their mandates, in particular: (i) committee secretariat staff who assist committees to do their work (ii) research and library staff who can support MPs to take effective action on key issues by keeping them well-informed; (iii) public communications and outreach staff who can work with MPs and within the Secretariat to more effectively engage the public in the work of the National Parliament; and (iv) parliamentary ICT infrastructure.
UNDP is now seeking to engage a Project Manager to work with a small team to deliver a range of activities in support of these outcome areas. The Project Manager will be based in Port Moresby with regular travel to Buka and other sub-national locations in Papua New Guinea.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Manager will report to the Project Chief Technical Advisor (CTA). The Project Manager will be based in the UNDP Country Office to Papua New Guinea. The Country Office will provide necessary administrative and other assistance to the Project Manager.
The Project Manager will be required to provide the following services as a minimum: Ensure the direction of Strengthening PNG’s Parliament’ project activities and the achievement of project targets and results, by focusing on:
- Strengthening collaboration and coordination with UNDP Governance team and project staff including the development of annual workplans, project budgets
- Oversee and coordinate development and formulation of detailed implementation plans, procurement and human resources, communication and risk management plans for the project whilst providing timely updates of all planning instruments in close collaboration with relevant CO units.
- Identify bottlenecks and develop solutions including building and fostering good working relations with government and other project counterparts.
- Assess project impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results.
- Establish adequate monitoring procedures and systems throughout project activities in close collaboration with Governance Team and UNDP Programme Management Unit. Ensure that adequate systems are in place to gather data and information for project monitoring including conduction of field trips to enhance performance of the project.
- Ensure UNDP’s results-management systems are kept updated including ATLAS/Quantum project management module.
- Manage the accurate and timely highly quality results reporting on the progress of the project and achievement of annual targets to the Project Board and donors including managing ROAR reports.
- Coordinate and prepare ad hoc thematic and substantive reports/analysis/briefs.
- Implement project communications activities in close collaboration with CO Communications Team
- Organize and participate in project level coordination meetings and/or technical working groups as per project document and AWP.
- Ensure organization of Project Board Meetings and ensure timely preparation of agenda, background materials and minutes as per UNDP SOPs.
- Ensure that UNDP’ corporate interest and rules are guarded at all times and that appropriate action is immediately taken to address problems and challenges.
Ensures day-to-day management of the project by:
- Ensure compliance of all actions and activities with organizational rules, regulations, policies, strategies and internal control mechanisms
- Mobilize personnel, goods and services, training and grants schemes to initiate activities, including drafting and reviewing terms of references and work specifications and overseeing all contractors’ work. Oversee effective provision of services to the government counterparts as required.
- Oversee the appropriate use of project funds as well as the consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations. Manage requests for the provision of financial resources by UNDP, through advance of funds, direct payments, or reimbursement using the FACE (Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures).
- Develop project budgets. Monitor budget implementation and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of project expenditure. Coordinate preparation of financial reports to UNDP, as required.
- Supervise and manage project personnel and consultants. Develop ToRs/JDs for project staff positions. Oversee recruitment processes. Establish performance objectives and standards and ensure timely and appropriate feedback, guidance and support to ensure optimum performance. Undertake performance evaluation according to UNDP´s policies and deadlines.
- Manage and monitor project risks. In collaboration with the technical project staff, government counterpart and donors identify new risks and update risk frameworks for the Project Board’s consideration and decision on possible actions if required. Update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log.
- Ensure appropriate management of project assets, attendance records, filing system.
- Initiate operational closure of the project.
Ensures and coordinates provision of high-quality technical advice and building of partnerships by:
- Coordinate the advisory activities of the project technical staff. Ensure that technical outputs are provided according to plans and up to highest technical standards. Review and clear technical outputs for quality
- Establish, maintain and facilitate strategic dialogue between project staff and Government officials at central and local levels, NGOs, partners, donors and other stakeholders in project´s area of work.
- Identify areas of cooperation and coordination with other UN agencies for implementation of joint activities within the area of the project. Implement joint activities with UN implementing partners as per AWP.
- Advocate UNDP with the partners and stakeholders. Consistently promote a positive image of UNDP
- Identify resources mobilization opportunities in close collaboration with the Programme Team. Develop funding proposals and concepts as requested.
- Provide inputs to formulation of UNDP strategies such as of ROAR Reports and Country Programme Document (CPD)
- Coordinate project strategies and activities with other UNDP projects to ensure the effective implementation of the Country Programme Document
Facilitates systematic knowledge and capacity building by:
- Ensure that the Project systematically builds capacities of the government counterpart and other national and local partners through introduction of innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promotion of their application to project implementation.
- Promote teamwork, information sharing and collaboration within the Project Team and between the Project Team and the Project Partners.
- Ensure capturing and disseminations of lessons learnt during project implementation.
- Facilitate the Project’s representation and/or participation in international knowledge networks to draw on and share best practice and lessons learned for application in Papua New Guinea and the Autonomous Region of Bougainville
Any other tasks and/or responsibilities as required for the implementation of the project and requested by UNDP management.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
People Management Competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Business Development-Knowledge Generation -Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Business Management-Results-based management-Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Project Management-Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Partnership Management-Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Risk Management-Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
- Resource Management-Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
- Change Management -Ability to prepare, support, and help individuals and teams in designing and implementing organizational change
- Communication – Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience; Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or BA Degree in social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or related area
- At least 5 years with master’s degree or 7 years with BA Degree of progressive experience in project development management, with focus on planning, monitoring, reporting and stakeholder and team coordination in democratic governance, political institutions and institutional capacity building.
- Demonstrated experience of management of a project of similar complexity
- Solid technical knowledge in the field of democratic governance in particular parliamentary development
- Solid technical knowledge in peacebuilding and conflict management
- Extensive management experience including experience in leading multi-cultural teams.
- Experience in working at the country level including in conflict and post-conflict environments.
- Good computer literacy – MS office applications, web-based management information systems
- Excellent knowledge of project management principles and best practices. Project Management Certification, either Prince2 or PMP/PMI would be an advantage.
- Post Graduate degree in the area of peace and conflict is an advantage.
- Proficiency in English
- Candidate to attach relevant professional certificates if any
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.