Under the direct supervision of the Project Development Officer for the Mediterranean, and the overall supervision of the Director, Coordination Office for the Mediterranean, Chief of Mission in Italy and Malta, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the development, activation and implementation of projects of interregional and regional scope.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide support in entering data and information in IOM Italy’s project tracking matrix on funding instruments, budgetary planning cycles of relevant financial instruments, in particular European funds, and timelines of different national and European calls for proposals;
- Assist the Project Development Officer (PDO) in gathering data and information for the preparation of concept notes and project proposals in all areas of activity at national, regional and international level;
- Assist in identifying and contacting potential donors and partners, as well as in researching available funding opportunities for PD; develop donor profiles, including non-traditional donors;
- Assist in strengthening effective IOM knowledge management, project tracking, including data capture and analysis, monitoring and evaluation. This includes updating the project development database on IOM Coordination Office for the Mediterranean’s active projects, for projects under development, and for projects funded by Italian donors; monitoring PD initiatives, and analysis of trends and patterns, to provide information for strengthening future PD initiatives;
- Provide technical and administrative assistance to the PDO, and related guidance to colleagues in the Mission at each stage of the project development cycle. This involves collecting and analysing background information/data, problem analysis, and development of results frameworks and budgets;
- Provide support to organize coordination calls and/ or meetings with IOM offices and departments to facilitate project development, endorsement and/or activation of newly funded projects, and assist in maintaining regular communications with external partners and relevant stakeholders, as required;
- Provide logistical support for the organization of meetings, workshops, seminars, events, and conferences related to project development, activation and inception, for the preparation of relevant administrative documents and for the drafting of related notes for the file and presentations;
- Provide support related to the preparation of administrative documents for project development, activation and closure, in line with IOM rules and regulations;
- Participate in workshops and meetings as required (including travel outside Rome), and prepare notes for file and support the drafting of information materials, as necessary;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Refugee and Migration Studies, Development Studies, International Relations, Economics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Secondary school with four years of experience in the following sectors: migration, development issues, research.
- Master’s Degree in a related field is considered an advantage.
- Demonstrated expertise in IOM project development and knowledge of project implementation modalities and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience conducting research and data analysis and writing reports.
- Experience in the organization of events, conferences, training workshops for governments, international organizations, NGOs or the private sector.
- Prior experience working for IOM, a UN agency or another international organization is an advantage.
- Knowledge of EU structure and funding mechanisms and platforms.
- Knowledge of/or experience in regional (EU/Mediterranean) and national migration-related issues.
- Data collection, maintenance and analysis skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in English and Italian (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of French is considered an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Italy will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form via e-mail at email@example.com.
The reference code VN 2022 30 Project Development Assistant must be clearly indicated in the e-mail subject otherwise the application will not be correctly routed.
Candidates who do not possess the above requested qualifications will not be taken into consideration.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview, soon after the closing of the Vacancy.