Position Title: Project Development and Reporting Officer
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 04 August 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Unit Coordinator, and in close co-ordination with senior management, resources management and programme managers, the successful candidate will support the mission’s resource mobilisation and external liaison functions through grants management and project development, donor reporting and fundraising actions.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the organization’s project development actions by drafting segments, reviewing and facilitating the submission of project proposals, concept notes, appeals, and donor contracts.
- Contribute to and coordinate timely and accurate preparation and dissemination of reports including monthly, interim, and final reports for donors based on program objectives, work plans, and timelines set by project agreements.
- Research, draft and submit other documents that may be necessary for project development, reporting, and donor liaison purposes.
- Support grant management by following up on the operational, administrative, and financial aspects of new and ongoing projects, including activation, processing, endorsement, records-keeping, and submissions in line with external/internal requirements.
- In coordination with the Programme Support Unit Coordinator (Maiduguri) and Public Information Officer (Abuja), produce visibility materials for publicity and/or resource mobilization efforts by compiling/drafting content and carrying out editing.
- Provide technical and administrative support to programme coordinators and project managers in the preparation of meetings and other consultations with donors, including assisting in the preparation of notes, briefs, and other materials.
- Support unit knowledge management and keep accurate and pertinent records of all correspondence, project development and reporting files, relevant databases and other Project Development and Reporting-related information.
- Provide technical guidance and support for the M&E aspects of other IOM programmes in Maiduguri.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Development, Management, Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience liaising with donors, governmental authorities, UN agencies, other national/international institutions, Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) and other stakeholders;
- Experience in report and proposal writing and project development activities.
- Working experience in an Emergency and/or Transition and Recovery context is a strong advantage;
- Experience in the logical framework approach, Result Based Management and other strategic planning approaches, including M&E methods and approaches; and,
- Experience in data management, analysis and reporting in a humanitarian or development context.
- Strong organizational and editorial skills;
- Working knowledge of IOM processes and systems (PRIMA);
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately;
- Strong analytical skills and expert knowledge of MS Office applications;
- Knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
- Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Practical experience of how-to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 August 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.07.2022 to 04.08.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 208 Project Development and Reporting Officer (P2) Maiduguri, Nigeria (57683390) Released
Posting: Posting NC57683391 (57683391) Released