Position Title: Programme Support Officer (Transition and Recovery Division)
Duty Station: Erbil, Iraq
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 August 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM is a major actor in post-conflict economic recovery and development, and as such is heavily involved on economic recovery, infrastructure and housing reconstruction and rehabilitation, data and research, durable solutions programming and community engagement. Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM), and the direct supervision of the Head, Transition and Recovery Division (TRD) for IOM Iraq, and in close coordination with other Resource Management and Partnerships & Coordination divisions (notably project support, finance, administration, logistics and procurement and human resources), the successful candidate will manage, coordinate and oversee the programme development, administrative and financial aspects of project management and implementation within the Unit, as part of the Iraq Country office (CO)’s TRD.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Serve as focal point for TRD for the design and development of new programs / projects in close coordination with Senior Technical Coordinators and TRD Head;
- Analyze and assess data and outcomes on programme implementation and indicators and support drafting and coordinating regular implementation and progress reports, in coordination with TRD project development team, PCD and RMO and in accordance with IOM procedures and donor requirements;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all projects and programmes implemented by TRD;
- Identify new project opportunities, describe and justify project possibilities consistent with approved programmes and ongoing activities, and prepare project proposals and budgets.
- Lead on the preparation and organization of donors visits in coordination with PCD, Head of Division, Technical and operational TRD teams;
- Assess TRD programme implementation and progress, including project budget expenditure tracking, prepare relevant reports including budgetary and results reports, and take action to resolve issues in coordination with the RMU.
- Oversee payment preparations, ensure payments are in compliance with IOM financial regulations, rules, relevant policies and donors’ agreements, and take action to resolve issues in coordination with RMU.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of TRD Administration; Public Information (PI) & Monitoring & Evaluation teams;
- Identify, train and supervise project development, admin, PI, M&E teams members, emphasizing the capacity building and development of new team members and training on internal systems;
- Take the lead in supervising all public information related management, including the coordination with Mission PI, the development of press releases, donor PI material, social media posts, trainings on PI, issuing visual PI material ensuring that donor’s visibility requirements are met.
- Oversee all administrative and performance matters, and coordinate with IOM program to rationalize and streamline project administration and other financial procedures and guidelines, including monitoring the planning and expenditure of staffing budget lines.
- Participate and support when relevant in the selection and recruitment of staff, notably for onboarding of new staff with admin procedures & technical briefings;
- Take the lead in supervising all human resource related management, including the provision of information to third-party contractors/consultants with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and management staff travel and provide all necessary support for payroll requests and requirements coming from Iraq HR.
- Ensure that accurate and complete reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records, lists and third-party registrations are updated and maintained in the Management Information System (MIS).
- Undertake field visits to project sites and provide ad-hoc support to field activities, field monitoring and verifications, as maybe required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Political Science, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the UN is essential;
- Experience in project development, project management, reporting and monitoring &evaluation;
- Experience preparing reports, budgets, statistics and coordinate administrative activities;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Previous experience with and knowledge of foreign government funding mechanisms is essential;
- Experience in finance, administration, logistics and procurement and human resources, with a substantial focus on efficient and on-time management of projects;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
- Previous work experience in an emergency mission is an advantage.
- Knowledge of IOM/UN Common System regulations, policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of MS Office products and good computer literacy skills required.
- Good knowledge of programme management cycle;
- Proven ability to supervise, coach, and direct staff and manage operations in transitional contexts;
- Strong project development and report writing skills, including for developing results matrices and log-frames, and critical analysis; and,
- Computer skills and knowledge of relational databases, Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, word processing etc. is essential.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP (PRISM) is an advantage
- Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting system, software and procedures a advantage;
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 August 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 29.07.2022 to 11.08.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 216 Programme Support Officer (TRD) (P3) Erbil, Iraq (57694859) Released
Posting: Posting NC57694860 (57694860) Released