Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) is an international development charity and the official aid agency of the Catholic Church in England and Wales that stand beside people living in poverty. Through local Church partners, we help people directly in their own communities, and campaign for global justice, so that everyone can reach their full potential.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer – Meal
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator with shared management lines to Country Representative
Hours of Work: 35 Hours Per Week
- The MEAL Officer will manage CAFOD/Caritas Germany’s ECHO funded project in Northeast Nigeria and will be a member of the Nigeria humanitarian team. The MEAL Officer will be responsible for the regular planning, management and implementation of the monitoring, accountability and learning aspects of the project and will collect and collate MEAL data for the interim and final reports to ECHO. S/he will be familiar with ECHO food assistance, WASH and protection policies and monitor any changes to these in order to ensure project compliance with these thematic policies
- Initiate and take overall responsibility for development of the Programme Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning functions including developing a monitoring framework that allows the monitoring of results and outputs of the ECHO project as well as demonstrating how we achieve the indicators.
- S/he will lead the regular monitoring by the MEAL teams for the food security, WASH and protection elements of the project and s/he will be responsible for the collation and writing of all MEAL reports. The post holder will lead the MEAL Team, working with and advising the Project Coordinators and Programme Manager.
- The candidate will need a background in MEAL with a broad knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative approaches and methodologies in respect of food security/cash transfer modalities, WASH and protection. S/he will need to be very familiar with Kobo Collect both for the development of questionnaire and the meaningful analysis of data.
- Review and update the MEAL framework based on the ECHO project results and outputs showing how the indicators are achieved
- Develop a variety of tools that enable the monitoring of food security, WASH and protection results/outputs
- Develop tools that monitor market developments
- Undertake PDM and collate and report on data for PDM
- Ensure all partners familiar with the use of Kobo collect app/ tool
- Work with partners to develop monitoring tools,
- Train staff on usage of monitoring tools and collation of data
- Use of Kobo collect to monitor food security, WASH and protection aspect of the project
- Develop tools for PDM of food security aspects of the project and lead teams in carrying out PDMs
- Develop WASH monitoring tools (qualitative and quantitative)
- Organizing and undertaking training with stakeholders, including primary stakeholders, programme staff in participatory M&E skills to undertake their own M&E activities.
- Engaging in advocacy & representation with major actors in relation to MEAL issues at district, provincial and national levels.
- Engage in sharing MEAL information with UN agencies and clusters/working groups
- Document & disseminate findings and lessons learnt internally and externally, including to primary stakeholders.
- Communicate the objectives and findings of the work appropriately to stakeholders at different levels.
Internal and external representation:
- In co-ordination with the Country Representative and the Programme Coordinator develop, nurture and sustain relationships and effective communications with relevant stakeholders, including local government, national networks, clusters and working groups, and other agencies working in North East Nigeria.
- Effectively communicate with other teams within CAFOD to ensure that the programmes are well understood, and that information is available for fundraising and other communications, including publications, media briefings, development education, etc.
- This may involve participating in communities of practice, working groups, supporter events, etc, as agreed with the Country Representative.
Systems and compliance:
- Overseeing the effective use of CAFOD’s systems to share programme knowledge and inform decision making. This includes overseeing compliance with agreements, regulations and requirements attached to our work.
- Degree in Social Sciences, Social Work and Social Administration, Development Studies, Education or another relevant field with substantial experience on M&E
- Ability to work with and build the capacity of programme staff and partner organisations
- Ability to develop and/or adapt M&E tools for practical use
- Knowledge of M&E concepts, frameworks and tools; able to manage, analyse and interpret M&E data
- Excellent writing skills, including experience of donor reporting.
- Willingness to undertake travel
- Experience in setting up and managing MEAL systems in an NGO setting.
Safeguarding for Children and Vulnerable Adults
- CAFOD recognises the personal dignity and rights of children and vulnerable adults, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect.
- CAFOD, and all its staff and volunteers, undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children, young people and vulnerable adults and to prevent their physical, sexual or emotional abuse.
- CAFOD is committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children and vulnerable adults, seeing these interests as paramount. Any candidate offered a job with CAFOD will be expected to adhere to CAFOD’s Safeguarding policy and sign CAFOD’s Code of Behaviour as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
- This post involves responsibility for people who will have contact with children, young people and vulnerable adults and applicants will be subject to specific checks related to safeguarding issues. If based in the UK the post holder is required to present or obtain a Disclosure from the DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service). If the post is based outside the UK the post holder will be subject to a different checking process.
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references, and appropriate screening checks can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. CAFOD also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
NGN 12,132,825 per annum
Application Closing Date
19th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online