Professional specialized in economics for causes and agents of forest transformation
Job advertisement : May 3, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 17, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO COLOMBIA
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration: 3 months trial period, renewable
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, leading the international effort for a world free of hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants, especially the poorest, economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of Agenda 2030 and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve production, nutrition, an environment and a better life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the Program Officer, technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance and direct supervision of the national project coordinator.
Field of specialization
The Professional specialized in economics for causes and agents of forest transformation is responsible for leading the economic component for the green municipalities strategy, complying with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of Activity 1.2 “ Support the implementation of a strategy for Green Municipalities ”, defined within the framework of the product “ Strengthening of national and local capacities for monitoring and control ” of the project.
- Work in coordination with the IDEAM Ecosystem and Environmental Information Branch or who from this unit is delegated by IDEAM.
- Prepare a detailed work plan and schedule of activities for the development of contract activities, agreed with the leader of the C&Component&A from SMByC and the project coordinator.
- Collect relevant economic and social information for the characterization and monitoring of the causes and agents of forest transformation during the contractual period.
- Carry out the analysis of the economic and social variables associated with the characterization and monitoring of the causes and agents of forest transformation during the contractual period.
- Technically accompany the processes of analysis of the patterns and dynamics of the causes and agents of forest transformation at the national level and / or in prioritized areas.
- Build the methodological proposal and carry out analyzes of socioeconomic factors related to natural forest conservation for prioritized areas associated with local initiatives, following the guidelines of the Ideam and according to the needs of the GCF-Vision Amazon project for its prioritized areas.
- Support the development of a comparative socioeconomic analysis between municipalities with high deforestation and municipalities with a high percentage of natural forest in prioritized areas, as a contribution to the development of a green municipal strategy for the Colombian Amazon.
- Develop methodologies and carry out econometric analyzes to support the characterization of causes of deforestation and / or GHG emissions and the differential contribution of these drivers.
- Technically support the process of construction and / or evaluation of the national Forest Emissions Reference Level in relation to adjustment for national circumstances and according to the available information.
- Build the methodological proposal and carry out the cost-effectiveness analyzes of the implementation of at least two control measures for deforestation and/or other sources of emissions by acronym in English AFOLU ( Agriculture, Forestry and other land uses ) in prioritized areas, according to the available information and following the IDEAM guidelines, and according to the needs of the GCF-Visión Amazonia project for its prioritized areas.
- Support with socio-economic technical inputs for the analysis of causes and agents aimed at the construction of the report of the annual deforestation figure for 2022 and other reports generated by the System of Forest and Carbon Monitoring of IDEAM, and those specifically required by the project in the framework of the construction of a strategy of green municipalities for the Colombian Amazon.
- Generate technical or scientific inputs required during the contractual period and aimed at generating publications, other material to disseminate the results of the work of the technical team or for publication on the technological platform or web service, following the guidelines of the agreement with IDEAM and the project communications strategy ( FAO ).
- Publications produced under the project must follow the process in the Publication Workflow System ( PWS ) to comply with the standard that indicates storing publications in the document repository FAO; This process is the responsibility of the authors of the documents and they will be part of the products delivered.
- Technically accompany the modeling processes of forest transformation by the IDEAM SMByC Causes and Agents team.
- Plan and implement workshops and other socialization, training, collection or exchange of information events, designated by IDEAM in the development of the contract.
- Present monthly progress reports on contract activities and work plan.
- Participate in work meetings, courses, presentations, and other socialization, training, or capacity transfer events to which you are designated by IDEAM or the project, including the gender approach for monitoring project activities.
- Ensure the integrity, security and reservation of the information manipulated in the exercise of its activities.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- The consultant must consult, study and appropriate the protocol for reporting cases of sexual exploitation and abuse of communities ( delivered by Human Management ) and report immediately, according to it, the cases that are known to you. FAO Colombia has zero tolerances for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good gender practices in accordance with FAO’s gender equality policy.
- Draft, document and present reports of results of execution of the planned activities.
- Any other work related to the subject matter that was required by the coordination of the project, that are related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitate the documentation and systematization of FAO strategic experiences.
- Timely diligence at the time of withdrawal from the organization, the charge delivery certificate and, in the event of supervisory functions, follow up on the correct delivery of the position of the personnel in charge.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Professional in economics, indispensable postgraduate ( desirable master’s degree ) in environmental and related subjects.
- Minimum general work experience of five ( 5 ) years and specific experience of four ( 4 ) years in the cost-benefit analysis related to natural resources, opportunity cost analysis related to natural resources, environmental economic valuation or econometric modeling of the change in land use / coverage.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( C level ) spoken and written.
- Colombian nationality.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Knowledge and experience in geographic information systems; knowledge and / or experience in modeling land use / coverage change; forest use and management; work with rural communities.
- Ability to prepare concise reports in accordance with United Nations standards.
- Work experience with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Management skills for articulation with regional, local and national actors, of public and private order.
- Teamwork ability, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team and establish networks and alliances.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the preparation and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding United Nations documents, information and materials.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom it interacts.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.