Position Title: Policy and Project Development Coordinator
Duty Station: Vientiane, Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Special short-term ungraded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that safe and orderly migration benefits migrants and society and is essential for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). IOM supports the Member States to effectively manage the various challenges related to migration and provides assistant to migrants.
Under the direct supervision the Chief of Mission (CoM), and in coordination with the Regional Office of the Asia and Pacific (ROAP), specifically the Regional Programme Support Unit (PSU), the Policy and Project Development Coordinator will be responsible for project and policy development, donor relations and resources mobilization efforts, reporting requirements as well as Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities for IOM Lao People Democratic of Republic (PDR). The Policy and Project Development Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the IOM Regional and Asia Pacific Office and Headquarters (HQ).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate contributions and compile various periodic reports including the yearly and mid-term reviews, IOM inputs into the United Nations (UN) Country Framework-related and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) agenda processes, as well as inputs for national, sub-regional and regional processes.
- Support the CoM and program staff to facilitate internal coordination and development of strategic policy advise on specific migration issues and projects relevant to Lao PDR, with an emphasis on emerging and cross-cutting issues in coordination with IOM HQ and Regional Office (RO).
- Under the direct supervision of CoM, support the project units in donor liaison and strategic thinking for resource mobilization and strengthening IOM’s mandate in the country including communication.
- Undertake technical assistance throughout the development of concept notes and project proposal as per the IOM Project Handbook and lead the endorsement through Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA) etc. Act as focal point for the design and development of new projects in close coordination with all stakeholders.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of project implementation and act as a focal point for IOM LaoPRD to respond to institutional queries from HQ, RO, and external counterparts.
- Prepare briefings in relation to the CoM’s liaison functions for the Government, United Nations Country Team (UNCT) partners, and visiting delegations and donors Including liaising with respective project staff for related organizational events.
- Support project in monitoring projects to generate data and inform/identify in advance implementation challenges, identify solutions, and support the timely delivery of activities and services within the designated timeframe.
- In coordination with project staff, lead institutional reporting processes (timelines, requirements etc.) and when required support drafting of reports to be submitted to the donor, RO, and HQ.
- Work in coordination with project staff to provide guidance on assessment/research/situational reports/ displacement tracking matrix etc.
- In coordination with project staff, ensure IOM’s participation of related Working Groups including establishment of UN Network for Migration, Task Force, and other UN interagency engagement. Support IOM’s visibility and engagement with wider discussion about migration such as human trafficking working group meeting and other related events.
- Support IOM Lao PDR with the development and roll-out of strategic documents and initiatives, including country strategy.
- Facilitate training to inform relevant colleagues on project development, reporting, communication, and M&E, as well as the roll-out of institutional updates and guidance material.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of Migration Policy Unit project staff. Contribute to building staff capacity and provide feedback on performance.
- Undertake duty travels as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience;
- Experience in project development, reporting, M&E, and research;
- Experience of development assistance framework of donors and donor reporting templates;
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating projects, providing policy support as well as project development;
- Demonstrated experience in donor liaison;
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions, and NGOs;
- Experience in the Asia Pacific region a distinct advantage.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by theOrganization.
- Proven skills in coordinating multidisciplinary teams and establishing and maintaining working relations with senior government officials, UN agencies, NGOs and Donors, including familiarity with the humanitarian cluster system.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, approach, and coordinate with stakeholders of diverse backgrounds and levels of expertise.
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 January 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2023 01 Policy and Project Development Coordinator (UG) Vientiane, Lao People’s
Democratic Republic (57919446) Released
Posting: Posting NC57919447 (57919447) Released