The Wildlife Conservation Society is an international NGO headquartered at Bronx Zoo in New York City working to save wildlife and wild lands and to meet global challenges in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the world’s oceans. The Africa Program is the largest of WCS’s field programs, with approximately 1,100 staff in 12 country programs focused across four major regions (Central Africa, Sudano-Sahel, East and Southern Africa, and Madagascar and Western Indian Ocean).
Our mission is to save wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education and inspiring people to value nature. Our Vision is a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on earth. Our Goal is to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world’s biodiversity. Our Values are Respect, Accountability and Transparency, Innovation, Diversity and Inclusion, Collaboration, Integrity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Manager, Nigeria
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration: 2 years (renewable)
Reports to: Country Director
Start date: Immediate
- We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working, creative, and experienced Operations Manager for a 5-year USAID-funded WASH project in Nigeria.
- The Operations Manager will be responsible for providing logistics support to the implementation of the project in 2 landscapes and to help ensure that all WCS guidelines and donor policies (USAID and EU) are closely followed. and specifically with the project logical framework.
- Specifically, the position will manage the procurement, transport and fleet of vehicles and assets allocated to the project.
- S/he will oversee and guide asset management, warehousing, infrastructure maintenance and project management, customs clearance and dispatch of goods, Information and Communications Technology, security, health and safety monitoring and situational awareness.
- The Operations Manager will work closely with the Director of Finance, Landscape Directors and the Regional Operations Manager based in Kigali.
- S/he will report directly to the Country Director and s/he will provide regular updates to the Director of Finance and senior management team. The position is based in Calabar with frequent travels to project sites and Abuja.
Working closely with the WCS Nigeria management team, the partners’ logistics focal persons, and the WCS Regional Operations Manager, the WCS Operations Manager for Nigeria will:
- Develop and implement sound and harmonized procedures and systems and ensure all purchasing and procurement across the project sites are done in a timely manner and comply with WCS guidelines and donor policies.
- Manage local procurement and dispatch of goods to ensure that project and country office needs are fulfilled on time and in compliance with WCS guidelines and donor policies.
- Ensure procurement plans are developed, implemented and proactive measures are taken to tackle changes in the program and market context.
- Support downstream partners complex procurement
- Coordinate international supply with the Regional Operations Manager to ensure that project needs are delivered on time.
- Manage importation of goods in Nigeria in compliance with Nigeria laws, including obtaining tax exemption.
- Develop and implement an assets management system to ensure project assets are properly managed in accordance with WCS guidelines and donor policies.
- Work with the project WASH specialist to ensure that all construction work and other WASH hardware complies with quality requirements, WCS guidelines and donor policies and specifically with the project logical framework.
- Develop and implement a vehicle fleet management system and vehicle maintenance to ensure the fleet is properly managed in accordance with the WCS guidelines and donor policies.
- Provide direct supervision of all Calabar-based logistics staff including evaluation, mentoring, and training.
- Provide technical support and mentoring to field logistics and operations staff including evaluation, mentoring, and training.
- Ensure all internet and communications systems (VSAT, HF, VHF, GPS tracking devices, Meraki device management) are functional and utilized in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensure the IT standards and guidelines, including data protection measures are followed.
- Ensure all permits, licenses and authorizations for aviation and telecommunications are up to date
- Support the landscape directors and field-based security staff, and the Regional Security focal point in the monitoring and management of security and situational awareness to the project sites.
- Oversee management of Calabar and field office facilities and security arrangements, including regular risk assessment and security updates to site-based and country level senior management.
- Oversee the updating, implementation and compliance of COVID-19 and other health-related protocols
- Provide support to the WASH specialist and the downstream partners for a smooth implementation of the project WASH activities.
- Provide technical support and mentoring to partners’ logistics staff.
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree qualification.
- At least 10 years of experience in logistics, fleet management, and procurement.
- Excellent organizational skills with a practical can-do attitude to work.
- Experience working with international organizations or private sector.
- Good written and oral communications.
- Fluency in English.
Application Closing Date
20th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three (3) References to: [email protected] using “Operations Manager, Nigeria” as the subject of the mail.
- Candidates who meet the above qualifications, skills and experience, should apply.
- The position is available for Nigerian nationals only.
- The applicant shall provide his/her expected salary in the application.
- WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview