SPECIALVACANCY NOTICE IOM/BOR/SVN2022/30
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: National Project Officer
Duty Station: Bor, South Sudan
Classification: NO-A (1)
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, 6 months with a possibility of an extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: August 11, 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Scope and Context.
IOM in South Sudan has a broad range of programming centered around three broad areas: Humanitarian Coordination and Support; Humanitarian response and Resilience; and Peacebuilding, Transition, and Development. Humanitarian Coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI Core-pipelines, Humanitarian Hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and Resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, Health, Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Mental health and Psychosocial support and the Management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under Peacebuilding, Transition and Development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on Housing, Land and Property Page issues, Transition and Recovery, Transhumance conflict prevention, Community-based violence reduction, Community development and Migration Management.
The position is to support IOM non-specialized sectors design and implementation of activities adheres to survivor-centered approach; as well as ensuring inclusion of different ages, genders, people with disabilities and other socially marginalized groups and whatever response is informed by a protection and gender analysis.
Under the overall supervision of Shelter and Settlement Unit Program Coordinator and direct supervision of the Shelter and Settlement Project Officer, the incumbent will be required to provide support to Shelter construction & rehabilitation, infrastructure and NFIs program activities.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities.
- Plan and coordinate activities of needs assessment, needs verification, registration, Shelter and NFI kits distribution, CBIs, Shelter construction support, monitoring mission, using Shelter-NFI cluster-standard tool.
- Follow-up and regularly monitor the construction activity on ground in liaison with the Assistant engineer/hydrologist at ground.
- Follow-up and regularly report in writing to Juba office regarding the activity that is on-going in Bor/ (from site whenever assigned).
- Lead and conduct the community trainings at different administrative level according to the schedule and as directed by the Project Officer.
- Lead SnS interventions conducted with other agencies and clusters.
- Contribute to capacity building of NNGO implementing shelter and NFIs programs.
- Effectively work together with other cluster partners in executing emergency response activities.
- Actively coordinate with State Focal Points and Cluster Coordinators any intervention.
- Attend coordination meetings with Cluster, partners, IOM Units and other relevant stakeholders on SnS operation related issues when necessary.
- Effectively work in collaboration with other IOM internal departments (pipeline, logistics, procurement, travel unit) in executing activities.
- Keep track and records of all operational materials, tools and equipment used for Shelter and settlement activities.
- Redact activities’ reports, needs assessment and verification report, distribution report, on time after the activities’ implementation, using cluster standard format.
- Participate actively in monitoring and evaluation missions with SnS M&E team.
- Enhance the use of new S-NFI and Cluster tools, in order to mainstream AAP, Protection, Gender, GBV, Conflict sensitivity during the interventions.
- Adhere to policies, Core Humanitarian Standards and guidelines set up by IOM.
- Participate in different stakeholders/partners/govt. meetings at Bor/sites when necessary and as directed by the Project Officers.
- Coordinate implementation of flood resilient and social cohesion activity in Bor.
- Perform any other task not listed above when requested by the supervisors
(Education and experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in communication/business administration/social work/community development or relevant field, 2 years of relevant experience in the field of NFI and Shelter programming, Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results, Capacity to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional background.
- At least two years of practical experience in Jonglei State, South Sudan, in relevant community development, or similar programs.
- Good knowledge and experience of working with community, local partner agencies and government counterpart.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of a community.
- Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation matters.
- Ability to work well in a team in difficult circumstances.
- Good report writing skills.
- Good computer skills.
- knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email/internet software.
- Accountability: Accepts and gives constructive criticism, follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies, meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs, monitors own work to correct errors, Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings.
- Client Orientation: Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work, Establishes, and maintains effective working relationships with clients, keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks.
- Continuous Learning: Contributes to colleagues’ learning, demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills, demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas, Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area.
- Communication: Actively shares relevant information, clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures, writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience, listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative, actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services, expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones, persuades others to consider new ideas, proactively develops new ways to resolve problems.
- Leadership and Negotiation, convinces others to share resources, actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change, presents goals as shared interests, articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments.
- Performance Management Provides constructive feedback to colleagues, identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers, provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations, uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures.
- Planning and Organizing; Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others, identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others, Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers, identifies risks and makes contingency plans, adjusts priorities, and plans to achieve goals, Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members.
- Professionalism, Masters subject matter related to responsibilities, identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities, incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation, Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress, treats all colleagues with respect and dignity, Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts.
- Displays availability outside of regular hours to respond to challenges, Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions, Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, and drive for results.
- Teamwork: Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment, contributes to, and follows team objectives, gives credit where credit is due, seeks input and feedback from others, Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate, actively supports and implements final group decisions, Takes joint responsibility for team’s work.
- Technological Awareness: Learns about developments in available technology, proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions, understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work.
- Resource Management establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM need.
• Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community.
- Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters.
- Good oral and written reporting skills.
- Diplomacy, tact, and good communication skills.
- Training/counterpart development skills and personnel management skills.
- Ability to work well in a team in difficult circumstances.
Thorough knowledge of English, Arabic, and working knowledge of local languages essential.
How to apply
Method of application:
Interested candidates are required to complete the information in this link https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/x/#Yi5g and submit a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae marked “National Project Officer” throughe-mail: [email protected] Applications need to reflect the position title and vacancy number on the subject line.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered valid.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 11 August 2022. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Posting period: 28 July 2022 –11 August 2022