Job Identification : 8764
Locations : Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Posting Date : 02/24/2023, 08:40 AM
Apply Before : 03/13/2023, 07:40 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : NOA
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree
Other Criteria : Advanced University degree or equivalent master’s degree in communications, journalism or related social science field with prior experience
Required Languages : Fluency in oral and written English, Russian and Kyrgyz is required.
Job Category : Communications
Please kindly note that this vacancy is open for Kyrgyzstan nationals only
Duty Station: Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
Appointment type: Fixed term appointment
Duration: One year renewable (*)
Closing date: 13 March 2023
Located in the UNFPA Country Office in Kyrgyzstan and under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Office, the Communication and Innovation Analyst advances UNFPA mandate and Country Programme priorities by means of external communication, advocacy and progamme communication strategies. The Communications and Innovation Analyst maintains collaborative relationships with all programme and project staff at the CO. Internal contacts include the Head of Office, Programme Analysts, Programme Manager and the CO’s programme/ technical team and operational teams the Regional Communication Advisor and other colleagues in UNFPA (both at HQ and country level) working on communication and advocacy issues. External contacts include other UN agencies in country and counterparts in Country programme activities.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s three transformative results by 2030 consists of: ending preventable maternal deaths; ending unmet need for family planning and; ending gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Communications and Innovation Analyst will advise on and assist in developing and implementing the Country Office’s External Communications and Advocacy, and Programme Communication strategy/plan, including by analyzing relevant political, social and economic developments.
You would be responsible for:
- Monitors and analyses the political, social and economic environment relevant to UNFPA’s work, as well as the public perception of UNFPA in the media and general public; identifies opportunities for strategic communications interventions and recommends appropriate action to seize opportunities for increasing visibility for UNFPA, its work and ICPD issues, and to maintain a positive image for the organization;
- Guides internal and external communications aimed at informing and engaging staff and publics around the corporate strategic goals and transformative results and the high-level goals of the country programme;
- Coordinates the development, in collaboration with the programme teams, of the CO’scommunication and advocacy and programme communication strategy and action plan;
- Ensures developing and maintaining close collaboration with traditional and social media, as well as with civil society groups and organizations essential to achieving UNFPA’s advocacy and communication objectives;
- Assists in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human interest stories, social media content and other advocacy/information materials;
- Coordinates the establishment and content maintenance of the UNFPA website for Kyrgyzstan;
- Coordinates the creation and content maintenance of UNFPA Kyrgyzstan social media accounts;
- Coordinates with concerned programme teams to prepare background communication and promotional materials for briefings and visits of journalists, donors, senior government officials and other groups;
- Helps organize and generate public support for special events, including World Population Day and the launch of the State of World Population Report, to promote country programme goals;
- Follows up on the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g., films, infographics, podcasts, video, audio-visual, etc.) for national, regional and global campaigns, and oversees the qualitative aspects of production (e.g. quality control, translation, review of layouts and graphic design) to ensure highest standards and compliance with UNFPA style and policies;
- Assists in monitoring and evaluating the appropriate and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials applying innovative approaches to target audiences and participates in the evaluation of their impact. Provides feedback to Regional Office and Headquarters on the use and appropriateness of global publications and visual materials;
- Establishes/maintains an up-to-date documentation center for publications, press releases and clippings, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials;
- Participates in the UN Communications Group functioning under the auspices of the UN CT in Kyrgyzstan.
- Contribute to UNFPA’s innovation priorities in a number of ways, including strengthening the innovation architecture; supporting the scale-up of innovations; forming partnerships; strengthening financing for innovation; and expanding the communities and culture for innovation;
- Supporting innovation initiatives that aim to find new solutions to pressing global challenges related to sexual reproductive health, family planning, gender equality and population dynamics
- Leads the implementation of the UNFPA Kyrgyzstan’s programme initiatives aimed at raising awareness, engaging communities and promoting reproductive health, gender equality, and population and development communication and practices with communities;
- Builds the capacity of the national partners and CSOs in effective communication approaches related to behavior and social norms change in support of country programme delivery;
- Monitors awareness raising, behavior and social norms change initiatives and provides feedback for evaluation purposes;
- Undertakes communication research to better understand audiences targeted by programme interventions.
- Advises the Country Director, the Head of Office and the programme teams in developing partnerships with donor communities and other development partners in support of resource mobilization, including organizing donor meetings where needed;
- Contributes to the Resource Leverage and Partnership Strategy in support to the realization of the UNFPA Country Programme;
- Facilitates the programme teams to report on results and increase visibility of UNFPA programme and UN joint programmes and initiatives;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the UNFPA Head of Office.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced University degree or equivalent master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related social science field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Prior experience in the field of communication and advocacy on social issues, media relationship management, digital media, resource mobilization and communication for behavior and social change are considered as an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge of communication approaches, tools and methodologies.
- Professional experience in programme/ project management as an advantage.
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods, particularly with UNFPA agenda, policies and procedures is an asset.
Fluency in oral and written English, Russian and Kyrgyz is required.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
UNFPA is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified candidates, irrespective to gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applicants will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.