Job Identification : 10360
Locations : Ankara, Turkey
Posting Date : 05/03/2023, 08:16 AM
Apply Before : 05/17/2023, 08:59 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : NOB
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience
Other Criteria : Practical experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, Experience in using office software packages
Required Languages : Fluency in both written and spoken English and Turkish
Job Category : Humanitarian & Emergency Response
The Programme Analyst analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends, guiding and facilitating the delivery of UNFPA’s humanitarian programme.
You will report to the UNFPA Humanitarian Programme Specialist.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Working within a large and complex Country Office (CO) environment, you will support the effective management of UNFPA humanitarian activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health and gender. Through substantive analysis and assessment of political, social and economic trends, you will be responsible for the management of the designated component of the humanitarian programme via supporting timely and high quality delivery of outputs according to the Work Plans and UNFPAs programme procedures.
You will be responsible for programme implementation by using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures, as well as by monitoring results achieved during implementation, guiding the appropriate application of systems and procedures, and developing enhancements as required.
You would be responsible for:
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, contributing to the design and implementation of the humanitarian programme and its component projects, aligning with Government priorities and UNFPA programme policies and procedures. Supervising Field Associates; identifying bottlenecks and provides guidance to ensure smooth implementation.
- Ensuring appropriate (financial and programmatic) monitoring and oversight mechanisms and systems are established and implemented; including funds and budget monitoring; grants and implementing partner management (FACE and programme); field monitoring.
- Analyzing and interpreting the political, social and economic environment as well as humanitarian needs in the field, relevant to UNFPA activities, and identifying opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention.
- Analyzing policy papers, strategy documents and national development plans; preparing briefs, situation/progress reports and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance formulation coordination, and programme frameworks;
- Assessing implications of new policy developments and strategies on humanitarian programme execution, and ensuring their integration.
- Establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts, NGOs and other UN agencies to facilitate coordination, timely and efficient delivery of project inputs; attending to inter-agency mechanisms.
- Assisting in implementing knowledge management strategies to capture lessons learned and best practices, sharing these with management for future planning supporting training needs of project and implementing partner personnel.
- Supporting the advocacy, visibility and resource mobilization strategy of the CO, by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related meetings and public events, engaging with donors
- Performing other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree in health, population, demography and/or other related social science discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two years professional experience in the field of development and population activities, with experience in programme/project management
- Practical experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
- Experience using office software packages and web-based management systems.
- Working experience in humanitarian programmes is an asset
- Knowledge of reproductive health and/or gender and/or protection is an asset
- Working experience with implementing partners and NGOs is an asset
- Working experience with an international organization is an asset
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods is an asset
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Turkish is required.
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
Embracing cultural diversity,
Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
Thinking analytically and strategically,
Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
Communicating for impact
Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
Delivering results-based programmes
Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
Providing strategic focus,
Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
Making decisions and exercising judgment
Compensation and Benefits:
The United Nations Population Fund offers you an attractive remuneration package with competitive pay and benefits. Staff members in National Officer Category that are locally recruited are compensated in accordance with the best prevailing conditions of service locally. You can learn more about tax exemption, allowances and benefits, holidays and leave, health insurance, and retirement pension of NO staff on the UN Careers website or the United Nations website”.