Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters, Regional Office and the Administrative Centres, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA) Unit and will serve as the responsible manager for the Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) team, the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) team and will act as focal point for the Protection (PxD) and Immigration & Border Governance (IBG) activities of the Country Office for Belgium and Luxembourg.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Manage, coordinate and monitor all projects and activities of the MPA Unit, in close coordination with the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the Resource Management Officer (RMO), ensuring compliance of all projects implemented by the Unit with IOM and donor regulations, policies and obligations as indicated in the funding agreements, internal guidance notes, policies and instructions, project documents, work plans and budgets;
- Supervise the work of the staff, including distribution and review of work assignments, trainings, coordinate with the Human Resources Unit on recruitment, including development of Post Descriptions, and conduct staff performance reviews;
- Make strategic recommendations and provide advice to the CoM to support with the development of strategies/policies/guidance notes, set up meetings with external partners, and prepare speeches/talking points; Act as expert on PxD, AVRR, RMM and IBG activities;
- Maintain strong partnerships and liaison with relevant government entities, civil society and donors, in particular the Federal Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (Fedasil), Immigration Office (IO), the Office of the Commissioner General for Refugees and Stateless Persons (CGRS), partner organizations, and other relevant stakeholders and donors;
- Develop implementation strategies and work plans to ensure timely implementation and achievement of projects’ goals, backstopping all financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements;
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities and coordinate with donors;
- Contribute to the review and drafting of project proposals and project development, including identifying partners and ensuring compliance with the requirements of the call for proposals or tender, as well as with internal IOM rules and procedures;
- Track and analyse legislative decisions that affect the thematic areas of the portfolio, different projects components and activities;
- Monitor Belgian and European priorities, trends, policies and programmes in the field of migration, and make adapted policy and programmatic recommendations to the CoM;
- Manage the movement aspects of programmes handled by the Mission; monitor and evaluate the entire operations business process and identify areas of improvement. In coordination, and with the support of RMM, negotiate new local agreements with airline companies, ground transportation providers and travel agencies as and when necessary;
- Contribute to the preparation of the Country Office yearly plan and strategy, including the budget and staffing arrangements for the CoM;
- In coordination with the CoM, represent the CO, promoting IOM activities at government, donor and other events as required;
- Undertake duty travels as needed to support programme implementation, government liaison and stakeholder engagement;
- Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Law, Social, Political or Economic Sciences, Social Work, Migration or Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the management of a protection, operations, and/or migrant assistance portfolio for an international organization;
- Experience in maintaining strong partnerships with government institutions, civil society, airline companies, and donors.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis;
- Knowledge of IOM’s financial rules and regulations is an asset;
- Specific training in travel systems is an asset;
- Specific training in protection of vulnerable migrants is an asset;
- Strong drafting, writing, and reporting skills.
Fluency in English, French and Dutch is required. Any other language is an asset.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of vaccination against COVID-19.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications with the below documents to [email protected] by 1 February 2023 23:59 (CET – Brussels time) at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line (VN 2023-04 National Migrant Protection and Assistance Officer):
- Questionnaire on Mandatory Requirements (page 5),
- Cover Letter
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
IOM reserves the right to contact shortlisted candidates only.