In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Experience 5 years
- Location Abuja
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Provide technical support and capacity building to the country office team to improve Results Monitoring and Results Based Reporting:
- Ensure linkage of Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and corresponding Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) Plans with the UN Women Strategic Plan.
- Review and provide feedback to Development Results Frameworks (DRF) and Operational Efficiency and Effectiveness Frameworks (OEEF);
- Ensure training and capacity building of RBM is transferred to programme partners
Manage the Results Monitoring System (RMS) and provide technical support to Country Office programme team and partners:
- Coordinate/provide technical support to planning, monitoring and reporting processes in the RMS;
- Ensure regular analysis of delivery and programme implementation both financially and through the AWP.
- Conduct regular analysis and identify gaps for support to accelerate delivery and implementation of AWPs;
- Conduct field visit to support monitoring of results and planning processes.
Provide quality assurance and technical support to country offices in program management and monitoring:
- Provide quality assurance of program documents and proposals through review of results frameworks in order to meet SMART criteria;
- Lead the development of Performance Monitoring Frameworks (PMFs) and Baseline Surveys;
- Develop and implement an effective monitoring system including monitoring guidelines and tools.
- Synthesize and analyze monitoring data from programmes/projects on a quarterly basis and develop regular management briefs to inform decision-making.
- Work with programme team to ensure sufficient funds are provided for monitoring, evaluation, and reporting during program/project designs
Provide technical support in the reporting of results to internal and external audiences:
- Provide technical support and coordination to programme teams in meeting internal and external reporting requirements, including annual and donor reporting processes;
- Review and provide feedback to donor reports submitted by program teams to improve quality and timeliness of reporting
- Liaise with regional office M&E team to review final report and upload into reporting tracking system – DAMS
- Coordinate the timely reporting of UN Women CO UNSDCF Result Area indicators
Provide Inter-Agency Coordination Support and strategic partnerships building
- Provide substantive support to the UN Women Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities.
- Take part in country level Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA) and UNSDCF processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process.
- Prepare substantive inputs to CCA/UNSDCF and other documents thoroughly analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the Country.
- Prepare analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women´s program experiences in support of UN Women inter-agency coordination role.
- Conduct research and analysis of donor landscape, and prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, and identify opportunities for joint programming
Contribute to knowledge management
- Identify relevant success stories and results from the field and in collaboration with the Communications team, ensure better visibility of results and dissemination of lessons learned.
- Lead/coordinate programmes/projects end evaluation and share reports
- Develop capacity development tools, including training materials and packages;
- Promote the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of M&E among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
Impact of Results
- The above key results have an impact on the effective planning, monitoring and reporting of UN Women results and the implementation of Results Based Management (RBM) principles at the Country office.
- overall effectiveness and success of UN Women interventions and activities in Nigeria
- Timely and quality support to programme team;
- Ensure quality and timely systems for tracking/monitoring;
- Ensure the timely submission of reports as well as quality;
- Quality support to Evaluation processes.
Core Values and Guiding Principles
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multiethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to provide advisory services in the area of Results Based Management (RBM), demonstrated familiarity with baseline data collection and monitoring methodologies;
- Ability to effectively represent UN Women in, and contribute to UN inter-agency monitoring and reporting initiatives;
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, civil society and women’s groups;
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Very strong IT skills and ability to utilize new information technology for optimizing organizational performance;
- Very strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to manage for results including excellent planning, goal-setting, prioritization and organizational skills;
- Very strong knowledge of research methods, solid understanding of knowledge management, and knowledge of ATLAS and Prince II considered an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Social Science Research or related field (e.g.demography, public health, statistics, socioeconomics, etc). Degree in Monitoring and Results Based Management is considered an asset
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the analysis of socio-economic issues at national level preferably related to gender, equality, women empowerment, and/or human rights.
- 2-3 years of which experience working in the area of monitoring and reporting, including proven track-record in the design and implementation of comprehensive monitoring systems;
- Experience in the United Nations, UN Women and/or other multilateral organization, field work experience, are highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Excellent English writing skills required.
- Working knowledge of French is an asset
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UN Women on jobs.undp.org to apply