UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for asylum seekers, refugees, internally displaced, returnees and stateless people. The operation in Mozambique has its main office in Maputo, field office (FO) in Nampula, and sub-office (SO) in Pemba. The candidate will be based in Pemba SO. The working language in the UNHCR offices in Mozambique is English.
The incumbent will support in operationalizing the strategic vision to align livelihoods and economic inclusion efforts with the Policy on Engagement in Situations of Internal Displacement, which underscores the need to mobilize additional actors and to adopt a whole-of-society approach to strengthen forcibly displaced persons’ self-reliance and help ease pressure on host countries.
The incumbent will collaborate closely with UNHCR livelihood partners, government entities, private sector, financial service providers, and other relevant stakeholders to enhance economic inclusion and improve the self-reliance of persons of concern (PoC) and vulnerable host community members. The incumbent will also explore collaboration opportunities with other UNHCR functional areas, e.g., protection and solutions, education, cash, GBV and others. S/he is expected to document good practices and results while ensuring regular engagement and coordination with different humanitarian, developmental and governmental stakeholders. S/he will assist in mobilizing forcibly displaced persons of different ages, gender, and background to ensure that stakeholders understand the potential of economic inclusion of forcibly displaced persons and host community members, and to help communicate opportunities to persons of concern accordingly.
Using an age, gender and diversity approach, the incumbent will promote the diversification of sustainable livelihoods that can help reduce vulnerabilities and build resilience to help people recover from current and future shocks and stresses
The incumbent will be in direct contact with people, sometimes in extremely vulnerable conditions, requiring openness, patience, and utmost respect from the incumbent. The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. UNHCR has a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse. Basic facilities are available in the settlements and operation sites; however, the incumbent is expected to handle long hours working outdoors.
Please also note that engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment:
- Explore partnerships with relevant stakeholders to enhance economic inclusion of UNHCR PoC. This includes working with economic development agencies to adapt their programmes to become inclusive of UNHCR PoC.
- Work with the private sector to enhance the inclusion of UNHCR PoC in their labor force and supply chains, working with financial service providers to enhance financial inclusion, and working with public and private sector service providers to include UNHCR PoC in supporting services (business development, micro-finance, training, saving accounts, poverty alleviation and social protection, etc.).
- Work with the multi-functional team, more specifically with the Protection Unit, to collect information about the legal framework for the right to work and rights at work.
- Ensure livelihoods interventions have a strong protection focus within its programming supporting other protection interventions which are ongoing in the context and response for IDPs.
- Support the implementation of socioeconomic and wealth ranking surveys to inform targeting, monitoring and facilitation of the engagement of development programmes.
- Participate in necessary assessments in collaboration with relevant private and public stakeholders, including impact assessments on local economies and surveys that help to inform interventions and identify investment and funding opportunities that enhance the economic inclusion of UNHCR PoC.
- In case UNHCR is implementing specific livelihoods activities, work closely with and provide technical assistance on livelihoods interventions to help ensure they are market-based, and that the role of UNHCR has been strategically determined in consideration of its comparative advantage vis-à-vis other partners.
- Liaise with partners and authorities on livelihoods related issues under the technical guidance of the supervisor.
- Support implementation of various programmes/projects in the area of sustainable livelihoods, local socio-economic development, economic empowerment of women and youth, and social entrepreneurship.
- Promote livelihoods programming, which includes advising partners on strengthening collaboration to reach women in need and at risk and other persons with specific needs.
- Prepare field reports and other relevant reports relating to livelihoods and make recommendations for interventions that enhance refugee/IDP economic inclusion to the designated officer.
- Conduct market assessments and mappings as activities are ongoing to avoid duplication of efforts and ensure complementarity of the programmes and strategies.
- Ensure the strategy for livelihoods is in line with ongoing interventions from other stakeholders, especially government strategic plans for the region.
- Ensure that project activities are properly documented and with adequate visibility.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) or higher.
Education: Certificates and/or Licenses:
Agriculture or another field.
Relevant Job Experience:
Relevant job Experience
Experience in facilitating the economic inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized groups in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, ideally in varied field contexts. Experience in working in partnership with private sector, NGOs, UN organizations, development actors, and government authorities in sub-sectors relevant to livelihood programming e.g., financial inclusion, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education, and training, etc.
Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee/IDP operations and functions relating to office administration and programme activities. Knowledge about latest development in the livelihoods sector, including broader UN processes on the SDGs and the Global Compact on Refugees. Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position. Prior exposure to working with development programmes involving government, UN and civil society.
EX-Experience with Inter/Non-Governmental Organization (INGO/NGO)
LV-Livelihoods & sub-sectors (value-chain upgrading, microfinance, cash assistance, etc.)
Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Empowering and Building Trust
Planning and Organizing
Fluency in English and Portuguese. Knowledge of local languages in Cabo Delgado Province would be desirable.
External candidates: External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
How to apply
Please send your application to: [email protected]
- Applicants are invited to apply via email as per below instruction.
- Not signed, incomplete and late applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
- The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted during the application. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
- UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants to apply. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms gender, disability, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- UNHCR has a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). SEA is unacceptable behavior and prohibited conduct for UNHCR personnel. It constitutes acts of serious misconduct and is therefore grounds for disciplinary measures, including dismissal. Any concerns or suspicions about a possible case of SEA should be reported immediately to the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at [email protected] or through the online complain form at https://www.unhcr.org/php/complaints.php or by confidential fax: +41 22 739 73 80.
For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please send an email to the below email address titled “Online VA Query-your name and surname”. Human Resources Maputo [email protected]