Position Title: Laboratory Manager
Duty Station: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 07 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission (CoM) in Bangladesh and Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM) (Emergencies) in Cox’s Bazar for administrative matters, and direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) in Cox’s Bazar, the Laboratory Manager will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Organize laboratory services and its structure for efficient and optimal service delivery adapting to prevailing local conditions, levels of expertise and available technology.
- Certify that facilities and bio-safety measures in laboratory/ies meet international standards and country requirements; by actively participating in planning and designing of new or upgrading existing facilities.
- Guarantee that standards of laboratory services correspond to HAPs and other programmes or project requirements via keeping Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) up to date and annual review.
- Ensure high quality with regards to international standards in all aspects of service delivery via internal quality controls and organizing and facilitating in external quality assessment.
- Verify optimum staffing levels for planned workload. Recruit, train, supervise and assess laboratory staff. Ensure staff development and continuous training for staff.
- Contribute in annual HAP activities planning and budget preparation related to laboratory services.
- Guarantee that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work. Plan and organize procurement, delivery, installation, servicing and operation of all laboratory equipment and optimal expenditure of consumables.
- Validate system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Liaise on laboratory related topics with national laboratories and laboratories in other countries, IOM Units, relevant national entities and international partners.
- Implement and maintain the system of service improvement with available long-term work plan addressing at least laboratory assessment, facilities and safety, process control, information management and customer service.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) LaboratorySciences, Microbiology or a related discipline with four years’ relevant experience.
- Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology or a related discipline with two years’ relevant experience.
- Minimum of two years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory.
- Proven management and/or Supervisory, or organizational and planning skills.
- Effectively applies and transfers relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Computer literate with understanding of data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance.
- Excellent awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Bengali or any local language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 December 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 427 Laboratory Manager (P2) Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (57855054) Released
Posting: Posting NC57855055 (57855055) Released