Reference Number: 230193
Position Level: IS 3
Department: Private Sector Operations Department
Division: Infrastructure Finance Division 2
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2023
Closing Date: Thursday, April 27, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
ADB will be rolling-out its operating model which may result in the change of department/group and/or reporting arrangement(s). By proceeding with your application, you acknowledge and accept the possibility of such changes resulting from the new operating model (NOM).This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.OverviewAsian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.The position is assigned in the ADB HQ under the Infrastructure Finance 2 Division (PSIF2) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSIF2 is responsible for deal identification and processing, up to signing, for nonsovereign infrastructure projects in East Asia, the Pacific and Southeast Asia.PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. It catalyzes, structures, and funds investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. Its emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB’s organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth.Job PurposeThe Investment Specialist will support the origination, development, due diligence, approval and implementation for one of the following: 1) nonsovereign infrastructure projects (including agribusiness and selected social sectors); 2) financing of nonsovereign bank and non-bank financial institutions; or 3) private equity. The incumbent will report to Director PSIF2. The staff will supervise national and administrative staff.Responsibilitiesa. Transaction Origination and Processing
- Assists in the origination of a pipeline of private sector projects and screens investment opportunities through client outreach, marketing and deal screening;
- Undertakes and manages the necessary due diligence, financial modeling, risk analysis and mitigation in the structuring of loans, equity investments, guarantees, B-loans or other forms of ADB assistance;
- Supports or leads the internal approval processes including interface with credit, safeguards, integrity, legal and other teams as well as management and the Board;
- With the support of internal and external counsel, ensures for all deals that appropriate legal documentation is successfully concluded in line with approvals and that financial close (i.e., first disbursement) is achieved in a timely fashion;
- Undertakes the implementation and the hand-over of administration of private sector projects, ensures compliance with required guidelines, policies and procedures as well as agreed covenants and reporting requirements up to financing effectiveness;
b. External Liaison
- Facilitates or leads active relationships with commercial lenders and other financial partners in the region, developers, investors and governments; and
- Assesses and structures transactions to maximize the potential for commercial co-financing and catalyzing of additional sources of capital.
c. Policy and Project Evaluation
- Provides input and comments on project, policy and other papers related to private sector operations and development across a range of key themes and sectors.
d. Knowledge Sharing
- Maintains and shares knowledge (inside and outside ADB) on lessons learned from private sector operations and emerging best practices in areas of expertise; and
- Participates in and contributes to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to ADB’s integrity, governance and safeguard policies.
e. Strategy and Planning
- Participates in country teams for planning and programming purposes, particularly with respect to private sector development and operations and sector priorities.
f. Staff Supervision
- Provides leadership and support to reporting staff;
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, provides clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance; and
- Ensures the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.Qualifications
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- University degree in business administration, finance, or related fields; preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in any of the following areas: 1) financing nonsovereign infrastructure projects (including agribusiness and selected social sectors); 2) financing of nonsovereign bank and non-bank financial institutions; and 3) private equity
- Specific and relevant experience in emerging market financing and investments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and the ability to communicate effectively to management.
- International experience working in several developing countries
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 3.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.