CFA Number: AZCFA2022-22
Position Title: International Expert
Duty Station: Home based with travels to Baku, Azerbaijan
Type of Appointment: Consultancy
Duration of Appointment: 3 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: September 2022
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Introduction: Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the UN Migration Agency, is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project: “Enhancing the Socioeconomic Benefits of Remittances in Azerbaijan”
***Project Context and Scope:***The IDF-funded “Enhancing the Socioeconomic Benefits of Remittances in Azerbaijan” project aims to contribute towards greater financial inclusion and use of digital financial services among Azerbaijani migrants abroad, migrants in Azerbaijan, and remittance recipients in Azerbaijan/abroad to support sustainable livelihood development.
This aim will be achieved by (1) assessing, with relevant gender considerations, current remittance flows, related practices and services, existing national legislative framework, and policies; (2) developing and validating a stakeholder analysis and mapping, as well as a roadmap for establishing an innovative digital remittances system; (3) piloting or analysing an existing digital remittance application and disseminating lessons learned for further actions and sustainability.
Objectives of the consultancy: IOM is seeking an international expert (Category B Consultancy) to lead a comprehensive analysis and mapping of all stakeholders related to establishing / improving an innovative digital remittance system in Azerbaijan. The main purpose of this exercise is to get a better understanding of all stakeholders, their activities, their connections, and gaps that may exist in coordination. Analysis and mapping of stakeholders will help IOM Azerbaijan and its government counterparts to implement in the best way possible a roadmap to be developed on establishing / improving an innovative digital remittance system while preventing legal, social and gender related gaps and ensuring no duplication of efforts are taking place.
The international expert, taking due consideration of project budget and timelines, will develop a workplan and methodology including specific tools to be used, for stakeholder analysis and mapping. Based on an assessment to be prepared in the due course regarding the existing practices and policies of the Republic of Azerbaijan on remittances and consumption models of remittances, as well as additional desk review, the international expert will identify primary and secondary stakeholders among government agencies, private sector and commercial banks, international actors, donors, political actors, public sector agencies, interest groups, non-governmental organizations, and civil society groups, as well as significant individuals and people affected by the issue. (S)he will assess roles, mandates, objectives, and key activities of these stakeholders, including possible overlaps, as well as determine their concerns and interests. As a part of data collection, the international expert may design and conduct additional interviews with those consulted during the assessment phase or with additional stakeholders. The international expert will also visually represent these stakeholders via mapping tools. This is intended to show degree of importance, influence, and current position of the various stakeholders in the process of establishing / improving an innovative digital remittance system. Furthermore, the international expert will develop recommendations for establishing / improving innovative digital remittance system, as well as for influencing, negotiation and advocacy strategies based on stakeholder analysis and mapping. (S)he is also expected to present findings of the research consisting of analysis report, stakeholders mapping and relevant recommendations at the Working Group (WG) meeting.
The expert will work under the supervision of IOM Azerbaijan. The IOM Regional Office in Vienna will provide support, if and as needed. The international expert will be assisted by a national expert and will guide and coordinate his/her work.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment: International expert will be hired to deliver a stakeholder analysis and mapping and present its findings on a two-instalment payment basis.
First deliverable:Research plan including methodology, research questions, data collection methods, sampling approach, mapping tool and workplan –– within 2 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 15 September 2022).
Second deliverable:Draft outcome document, including analysis report, stakeholders mapping and relevant recommendations –– within 6 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 13 October 2022). First instalment payment (40%) –– provided that first and second deliverables sent by email for review and approval with IOM Azerbaijan and IOM Regional Office in Vienna by 13 October 2022.
Third deliverable:Final outcome document, including analysis report, stakeholders mapping and relevant recommendations- within 8 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 27 October 2022).
Final deliverable:Presentation of the research findings at the WG meeting in Azerbaijan –– within 12 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 23 November 2022). Final instalment payment (60%) –– provided that final outcome document sent by email for review and approval with IOM Azerbaijan and IOM Regional Office in Vienna and presentation on its findings delivered in person by 23 November 2022.
Education and Experience required
- At least Master’s degree in economics, financial economics, development finance, development studies, law, public policy, or similar field.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in conducting research, especially on migration and remittance-related issues, remittance transfer and its constraints, and digital transfer service and security.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in conducting stakeholder analysis and mapping. Excellent knowledge of different analysis and mapping tools.
- Excellent knowledge of statistics, interview, survey and assessment methodologies, data gathering and analysis (quantitative and qualitative).
- Excellent analytical, research, reporting, communication, documentation, presentation, and workshop conduction/facilitation skills.
- Experience of similar assignments in similar international or CIS development contexts.
- Knowledge of labour migration corridors from/to Azerbaijan is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to assess complex situations to clearly distil critical issues.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate excellent teamwork, coordination, and facilitation skills, as well as to respond constructively to feedback and differing points of view.
- Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, international organizations, etc.).
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and in a deadline driven environment.
- Computer literate with ability to operate Windows applications.
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
Languages: Excellent written and spoken English. Fluency in Azerbaijani and Russian language is a distinct advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) with Motivation Letter in English by indicating name of the position (International Expert) applied with its CFA number (AZCFA2022-22) in the subject line of the e-mail to [email protected] by the end of 14 August 2022.
Please note that only applications with required documents will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.