The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Management & GIS Assistant
SVN No. : SVN2022.145
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM)
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the DTM Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Information Management/GIS Officer (DTM), and in close technical coordination with the Project Officer and Database Officer, the incumbent will support the DTM programme to perform overall data analysis, predictive analysis and apply data visualization techniques to present information and highlight different perspectives on key findings from assessments, surveys and other forms of information gathering.
- S/he will coordinate, in close collaboration with the reporting officer and IM unit colleagues on the presentation of analysis in the duty station s/he has been assigned to
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the design and implementation of an integrated and interoperable mechanism for data collection and IM/ GIS across all DTM activities to ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored and submitted promptly to be further processed and disseminated.
- Support systems to gather and process information required for DTM’s site assessment, village assessment and event tracking tool, including the overall data management systems for data collection activities and GIS tasks.
- Assist in data and information processing and analysis, providing recommendations for further technology integration possibilities to harmonizes and optimize data collection, analysis, and storage.
- Liaise with the IMO, Database Officers and Project Officer to provide timely intervention in case of any system irregularities and GIS needs that may occur during field operations.
- Participate in technical and information-sharing meetings regarding the design and use of the developed database systems. Independently provides a full range of data analysis assistance at all phases of a data analysis initiative, typically a large and highly complex component of the DTM data analysis initiatives, and seeks guidance in exceptional circumstances.
- Participate in documentation, development and delivery of user manuals and training programmes for the developed and tested IM, GIS and databases systems.
- Support the main data flow processes for the effective collection, storage, processing, analysis and reporting of the data, besides preparing data sets upon request, responding to queries/requests and maintaining/updating web pages.
- Verify the information and accuracy of the data and GIS maps in the system and ensure that data reported figures are the same as the ones stored in the system.
- Support in managing and training field enumerators to ensure the quality of data collected and entered into IOM databases.
- Ensure adherence to data protection policies following procedures for requests for data changes, access and general database use.
- As required, provide remote or onsite technical support for all FOAs and enumerators in relation to implementing the developed tools and systems.
- Participate in training, seminar, workshop, and technical meeting to develop the capacity of the staff members and the stakeholders concerned, when necessary and more specifically, provide training (including training of trainers) to the intended users of the database systems regarding the design and the application of the database systems.
- Support the DTM team in analysing the new datasets and carrying out population movement and GIS deliverables.
- Analyses promptly and as per humanitarian needs. Besides, support in conducting triangulation of information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree in Information Systems and Technology, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant experience.
- Familiar with statistical tools and applications of statistical theory and techniques in managing data collection.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite – Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc. is an advantage. Requires the technical skills to use design software programs mentioned above and possess a general interest and aptitude for learning new technology
- With experience in reporting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience presenting to multiple audiences (e.g., technical and non-technical, government circle). Knowledge of data science best practices stemming from proven experience—a data-driven problem solver.
- Experience in database management, data analysis and GIS
- Experience with handling confidential data
- Experience in advanced data visualization and information design skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and proven skills in analysing statistical information.
- National with a good knowledge of, and experience in, the culture and traditions of their country.
- Ability and willingness to work in difficult areas/situations.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is required, and working knowledge of the local language (Hausa, Kanuri etc.).
- Advanced technical skills in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated experience in the use of statistical analysis software such as R programming, Stata, SQL or SPSS
- Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies
- Experience in reporting and liaising with government authorities is advantageous, preferably within the international humanitarian field.
- Excellent communication skills, efficiency, and flexibility.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respect and promote individual and cultural differences; encourage diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and act consistently with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others in realizingin realizing and developing their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
Monday, 7th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: [email protected] using the position applied for as the subject of the mail
Click here to apply online
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.145. Maiduguri Information Management & GIS Assistant G5 DTM
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
- Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.