Position Title: IMCT Developer (Global IV Programme Network)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 02 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager for the Global Visa Application Centre (VAC) Network, and the direct supervision of the IMCT Officer for the Global VAC Network, the IMCT Developer (Global IV Programme Network) will be responsible for assisting with the development and administration of IT applications and systems of the IV Unit, in close coordination with relevant teams from ICT Department.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the IMCT Officer for internal and external coordination of all Information Management and Communications Technology (IMCT) related activities in support of the IOM IV global programmes ensuring strict compliance of IOM ICT Standards and Policies, as well as compliance with the requirements on IT solution management, security, and procedures set by external partners, including partner embassies and ministries.
- Help analyze the requirements and help develop solutions for IV client application and management systems, including visa facilitation and other thematic areas of the unit, such as registration, readmission, and document verification, aimed for long-term institutional use.
- Evaluate potential and historical applications failures, propose lasting solutions, and develop improvement concepts, while reassuring functionality, operability, capacity, and quality of critical IT solutions to meet IOM IV Global contractual requirements and service levels.
- Fulfill assigned tasks and collaborate with relevant project implementation teams for development and delivery of new applications for Information Management systems and applications, such as:
- Design and development of front-end websites and architecture.
- Design and development of back-end website applications and databases.
- Ensuring cross-platform optimization and responsiveness of applications.
- Provide timely and customer-oriented response and resolution to reported issues, service requests, and complex situations through professional advice and continuous technical support processes, while coordinating with IOM Global VAC IMCT team and the affected IV programme implementing offices to ensure optimal performance and reliability of all IOM IV programme operations worldwide.
- Ensure the security and maximum availability of the solutions and data as well as their proper performance and efficient storage facilities, while ensuring data integrity and data protection principles are always followed.
- Ensure that recurring maintenance tasks are performed periodically and sustain upkeep of the Global IV IMCT inventory of technology solutions, user community needs and concerns, and safeguarding media and licenses, while ensuring that all IT related changes are approved, well documented, and maintained in IOM IV programme information repositories and knowledge bases.
- Aid with continuous knowledge transfer to IOM IV Global network colleagues and Local IT Support in the field through production and maintenance of relevant documentation and reference materials to ensure efficient and productive use of IOM IV systems and solutions.
- Keep abreast of technologies and contribute to ensuring quality and continuous improvement measures to overall service delivery and support.
- Maintain good technical communications and relations with relevant IMCT teams and software vendors to ensure the smooth and proper support to the IOM IV Global programme Network needs.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.• Valid and relevant certifications for IT development, web applications, and database management would be an advantage.
- Four years (two years for Master’s degree holders) of professional experience in the Information Management and Software Development field with wide-ranging and advanced knowledge on:
- Server-side languages such as Python, Ruby, Java, PHP, and .Net languages (including C++and C#).
- Programming frameworks such as Laravel, Symfony, React JS, Vue JS, ASP.Net.
- Database technologies such as MySQL and MS SQL.
- Web server platforms such as IIS, Apache, and Nginx.
- Cloud technologies for IaaS, SaaS, and PaaS, such as Microsoft Azure and AWS.
- CMS platforms such as Drupal and ECM platforms such as Microsoft SharePoint.
- Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and Data Warehousing concepts and practical implementations.
- Advanced data visualization, presentation, and information design skills such as with Power BIand Tableau.
- Design and coordination of information flows and data management including collection, storing, processing, and analyzing data to generate information products.
- Experience in aiding projects and follow assignments and tasks through known project management frameworks and methodologies.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills in determining and providing solutions, and able to manage workload priorities for assigned tasks;
- Ability to provide IT Technical Support with a service-oriented and customer-satisfaction mindset; focused on quick and positive response/feedback to clients;
- Excellent coordination and communication skills; experience in aiding projects and follow assignments and tasks through known project management frameworks and methodologies.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 02 March 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 17.02.2023 to 02.03.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 43 IMCT Developer (Global IV Programme Network) (P2) Geneva, Switzerland (57977891) Released
Posting: Posting NC57977892 (57977892) Released
Posting Channel: Internal Candidates