- Nature of the consultancy:
Category A Consultancy: Support the development, delivery and implementation of a growing WASH portfolio in Pakistan through development of implementation and monitoring plans, technical tools and guidelines, partnerships, as well as provision of capacity building for staff and implementing partners.
- Project Context and Scope:
Since the mid of June 2022, up to 33 million people have been affected by severe monsoon weather. The storms and heavy rains have caused widespread flash floods and landslides, with severe repercussions for human lives, property, housing, and infrastructure. Estimates range from 20 per cent of water systems to be damaged in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 30 per cent in Balochistan and up to 50 per cent in the hardest hit areas of Sindh and Punjab provinces. Limited access to water and disruption of water distribution networks have increased the risk of unhygienic practices, leading to waterborne diseases.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Senior Emergency and Post Crisis Coordinator, the successful candidate will contribute to the development and implementation of a growing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) project portfolio in Pakistan and ensure effective implementation of IOM emergency WASH and recovery operations within the country.
- Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
Emergency and Post Crisis Division
- Category A Consultants: Tasks to be performed under this contract
- In coordination with the Senior Programme Coordinator, support the implementation of the WASH programme to guarantee that scope, budget, time and quality are in accordance to the different projects specifications, donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations.
- Support the Senior Programme Coordinator in identifying programme development opportunities, new funding sources, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of the IOM WASH portfolio. Support the mission in Liaison with donors at local and regional level in order to advocate for adequate funding to sustain the WASH programme and prepare proposals for funding.
- Lead the design process and oversee compliance of technical specifications for the implementation of the required WASH infrastructure and services to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
- In coordination with the Senior Programme Coordinator, Resource Management Unit and Procurement and Logistics Unit, support all WASH programme related procurement efforts for supplies and services, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
- Support the liaison efforts with the WASH Sector; Unicef / UNHCR, other WASH agencies, government authorities / entities and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM WASH activities are coordinated to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community at the country level.
- Ensure that the WASH program is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine-tunning of systems and processes.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the WASH programming such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Environment and other cross cutting issues of relevance.
- Provide capacity building and technical support to IOM WASH field staff and implementing partners.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
- Successful delivery of on-going WASH activities in Sindh province – Pakistan
- Signed partnerships and implementation agreements with nationl and international NGOs.
- Delivery of implementation plans
- Education, Experience and/or skills required
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Travel required
This consultancy is based in Islamabad – Pakistan with expected frequent domestic travel
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Experience in the design and implementation of WASH infrastructure, including contract management
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines.
- Good knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Proven experience in the design and / or implementation of interventions that include research methods to address behavior change for the promotion of hygiene.
- Computer literacy, especially database tools and strong computer skills.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail:
Applications should include:
· Cover letter
· Curriculum vitae
· 2 writing samples, optional (relevant topic of your choice)
From 04.01.2023 to 17.01.2023