Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK’s Department for International Development (now known as the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office). Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
Tetra Tech International Development has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context specific and consistent approach is applied to all our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Green Growth – Principle Specialist (Donor Funded Programme)
Job no: 499828
Employment Type: National Position
Work type: Permanent
Categories: Agriculture and Food Security, Economic Growth, Energy, Environment, Infrastructure, Land rights, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning, Water, Project Management Consulting
- We are delivering the FCDO-funded LINKS – Catalysing Economic Growth in Northern Nigeria programme, which supports the development of a vibrant and diversified economy in key northern Nigerian states. The programme began in September 2019 and has a duration of 7 years.
- The front-line components of LINKS activity are on (1) Investment promotion and facilitation and (2) Green Growth, and Climate Smart Agriculture, with a strong cross-cutting focus on gender and social inclusion (GESI) and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL).
- Ultimately, the programme focuses on increasing incomes and creating jobs for the poor in Northern Nigeria. LINKS works across pro-poor environmentally positive value chains, supporting key players to become productive, competitive, and attractive for investment, and then encouraging actual investment into them.
- To date LINKS has increased incomes of over 45,000 people, created over 2000 jobs and piloted a number of innovative and climate smart agricultural initiatives, looking at production of reduced methane emissions rice, development of a regenerative agriculture platform and carbon project, and testing alternative fibre crops to cotton. It has also facilitated over £16million of investment into private sector opportunities in the North, and provided technical support to investment promotion agencies across the KKJ.
- With a recent pivot of FCDO aid funding to focus on climate positive activities that positively impact the lives of women and girls, LINKS now seeks to hire a senior manager to support the development and or transformation of northern value chains that contribute to these objectives.
- The position would sit within the Green Growth Component and lead the Green Growth Value Chains team, consisting of approximately three intervention coordinators and one senior technical advisor. The senior manager would work closely with the climate-smart agriculture team in the green growth component, and the investment team to ensure sustainable and scalable delivery of interventions.
- The Green Growth – Principle Specialist (GGPS) is responsible for designing, developing, implementing and providing management oversight to a portfolio of LINKS interventions in the area of Green Growth.
- The GGPS is accountable for the delivery of the intervention portfolio and responsible for providing effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of progress and outputs against the project plan.
- Following a process of prioritisation, the GGPS will select and implement a series of interventions that are likely to increase incomes and create jobs for the poor population in Northern Nigeria.
- The interventions should lead to increased investment by businesses in the sector.
- Define or reassess market systems and climate resilience and adaption opportunities
- Identify and analyse the value chain and core transactions, key rules & supporting functions, and assess key climate and market systems constraints;
- Define appropriate intervention areas and develop potential project interventions in close collaboration with external partners / stakeholders in the market. The project interventions should have the potential to scale up or replicate within and across sectors, and to reach to a wider group of poor within the sector.
- Facilitate partner engagement, where applicable negotiate formal agreements with relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to capacity building tools of partners and stakeholders as necessary;
- Identify and alert the Innovation Lead and Team Leader (TL) to the need for external advisory support;
- Ensure Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) is incorporated into all project interventions
- Quality control technical outputs of the team
- In close cooperation with the MEL team, take the lead in all activities related to planning, monitoring and results for the intervention portfolio that the GGPS is responsible for.
- Lead and participate in strategic planning exercises;
- Develop intervention results chains.
- Review and update the results chains as necessary and at least annually.
- Take responsibility for results measurement and data collection related to all the indicators in the intervention results chains. These should be aligned with the DCED Standard for Results Measurement.
- Conduct high quality analysis, and provide clear reports and other written materials to appropriate standard as evidenced through feedback from the M&E Lead, Deputy Team Lead, Team Leader.
- Provide on-going advice and support to the overall M&E framework, the results chains and the log frame.
- Provide management oversight to project implementation. This includes:
- Supervise the management of the various interventions and provide guidance to the various IM and support staff.
- Maintain and update a detailed monthly intervention work programme of intervention tasks and activities;
- Ensure that each intervention records data and that files are up to-date and accessible for review as needed by the team;
- Identify potential candidates and draft terms of reference for staff in the Innovation Component (Intervention Managers, consultants)
- Contribute to the development of KPIs for each team members, participate in line management of the team through regular meetings and performance assessment.
- Lead by example in ensuring compliance to Tetra Tech processes, code of conduct and professionalism.
- Any other duties relevant to this job description as may be required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Agricultural Sciences or a related field
- 15 years’ experience in market systems development programming
- At least 5 years project and partner management experience
- Strong understanding of GESI and how to mainstream into design and implementation of interventions.
- Extensive experience in climate change and nature-based solutions programming preferred
- Knowledge of the Agricultural and energy sectors in Nigeria
- Ability to lead value chain analyses and research projects, and turn findings into deliverable projects
- At least 5 years’ experience leading and supporting multi-discipline teams
- Excellent understanding of the economic and socio-political environment in Northern Nigeria
- Strong networks in Northern Nigeria
- Experience working in the development sector, preferably with FCDO programming desirable
- Excellent spoken and written English is essential
- Spoken Hausa preferred
- Ability to think innovatively and bring interventions to scale
- Strong leadership skills
- Strategic thinker
- Self-starter and ability to think out of the box
- The position is based in Kano, with frequent travel to Kaduna, Jigawa, and potentially other Northern States (travel may include Lagos and Abuja as necessary). Some out of hours work might be required.
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2022 (23:55) Central Africa Standard Time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and covering letter is required and these must be combined into a single document for upload.
- CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Women and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
- Tetra Tech International Development is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.