The Foundation for Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE) is a purpose-driven humanitarian and development non-governmental organization that implements a range of portfolio through purposeful partnerships. FREE builds bridges for improved lives for people affected by calamity. Our mission is to support people affected by natural and man-made disasters, especially those who have suffered displacement to be able to get back their lives and livelihoods in no time.
We work also with underserved communities to ensure that they have basic facilities and services. Over the past 7 years, working closely with government, civil society and private sector partners, FREE has reached more than 1,000,000 beneficiaries across Nigeria with assistance in Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Food and Livelihood Assistance, Health and Nutrition Support, Education in emergency, among others.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Job Type: Full Time
About the Role
- The Finance Officer will contribute to financial management and programme implementation by providing the necessary support for operational, administrative, and programmatic support.
- This role is open for an initial 10 months and may be renewed based on available funding/satisfactory assessment.
- The Finance Officer has dual responsibilities of supporting the administrative team to maintain proper financial records and the program team to ensure the successful implementation of projects.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Programme, the Finance Officer will support critical activities as assigned and other daily administrative activities.
More specifically, the job will involve the following:
- Support the preparation of financial reports (monthly, quarterly and annual) to ensure compliance with donor requirements and FREE Nigeria’s operations.
- Provide financial information to enable the programme team to make timely project and operating decisions
- Review financial documents and reconcile all voucher-related activities to the ledger monthly.
- Support all audit processes and the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports in response to audit inquiries.
- Handling remittance of pension and tax payments for staff
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects.
- Support the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, proposals, writing reports, conducting surveys, designing strategies for interventions, and developing questionnaires.
- Undertake logistical, administrative, and financial arrangements for the organization of meetings, workshops, events, and missions as required.
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims.
- Support school engagement, teachers training, integrity certification program and any other projects as assigned.
Resource Mobilization Support:
- Compile and process information from donors and partners to various databases and documents.
- Identify funding opportunities and support the preparation of proposals to secure funding for FREE Nigeria’s activities
- Support the sale of books and any other materials as assigned
- The Finance Officer will undertake any other tasks as assigned.
Education, Experience and Skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration or any relevant equivalent degree. A diploma in accounting/business with up to 10 years’ post- qualification experience as Finance Officer in a humanitarian organization would be considered.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience in either finance, accounting, grants management
- A minimum of three years working in a similar capacity in a humanitarian organization
- Ability to understand and implement government tax laws.
- Proven knowledge of computerized accounting systems
- Excellent organization skills and ability to adjust to dynamic situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with the ability to identify and resolve problems and suggest improvements.
- Strong financial and budgeting skills.
- Ability to manage data, documents, and correspondence.
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions.
- Ability to create, edit and present information in transparent formats.
- Good knowledge of programme administration
- Strong communication- including good writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of partners.
- Ability to deliver at pace and meet deadlines.
- A track record of proactive leadership.
- Ability to work and deliver objectives with limited supervision.
- Good ICT skills, including strong proficiency in excel, word and powerpoint Knowledge of using accounting software like QuickBooks will be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
6th November, 2022.
9th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their recent CV along with a Cover Letter (no more than a page) to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Any employment with FREE could be subject to the following checks:
- Screening clearance
- Criminal records check
- Receipt of satisfactory references.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Do NOT apply for more than one position. Existing FREE staff are eligible to apply.
Our Values and Commitment to Safeguarding:
- FREE is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom FREE engages.
- FREE expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
- The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
- We may request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.