Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the posiiton below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Job Code: 7096
Location: Lagos, Nigeria (40% travel to Kano)
Name of Project: USAID Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Urban Adolescent Health (YPE4AH)
Reports to: Accountant
Project Duration 5 years: May 2020-2024
Contract Duration 18 Months
Level of Effort Full Time
- USAID Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Urban Adolescent Health (YPE4AH) is a five-year (May 2020 –May 2025) award funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). It is being implemented in Lagos and Kano by DAI in partnership with select local NGOs and the government of Nigeria.
- The project is aimed at improving the health and well-being of underprivileged, out-of-school adolescents aged 15 – 19 years of age in urban slums in selected communities in Lagos and Kano States. The program will foster an ecosystem that centers around
- Youth Hubs and seek to provide safe spaces to access sexual and reproductive health and rights information and referrals. Similarly, the program will empower young Nigerians to think about their futures differently and access the skills and resources needed to realize their aspirations from a holistic, human capital perspective.
- The Finance Officer (FO) reports to the Accountant. The FO will be responsible for supervising all banking transactions, preparation of PVs, posting of PVs and preparation of financial reports.
- He/she is responsible for budget tracking, reviewing posted accounting transactions in the FAS, bank statements reconciliation, and preparation of staff payroll.
- The FO will also make requisitions for funds, reimbursements, and involvement in the capacity building of relevant Staff on Financial management. He/she is to keep financial records and produce financial reports for audits.
Other key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Working closely with the project accountant, process all approved payments in line with standard practices with appropriate supporting documents
- As part of the finance team, provide administrative and technical support to the Staff to ensure that all advances are retired, and reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis.
- Assist in the logistics preparation for and during workshops.
- Filling of retired payment vouchers with supporting documents.
- Assist with bank reconciliations, petty cash management, and cost projections.
- Posting of daily transactions (Income & Expenditure) using accounting Package.
- Carry out banking transactions and recording inflows from home office and payment to vendors and other stakeholders.
- Preparation of Payment Vouchers (PVs).
- Posting of PVs and preparation of financial reports
- Responsible for budget tracking, bank statement reconciliation and preparation of staff payroll
- In charge of making requisition for funds, reimbursement, and involvement in the capacity building of the Staffs on financial management
- Ensure that all statutory remittances are paid on or before their due dates.
- Lead the preparation of E-payments schedules for review daily.
- Payment request reviews, requests for additional information, and ensure that payments with the Finance team continue to move through the proscribed process.
- Review transactions for cost reasonableness, allowability and allocability.
- Keep financial records and write up financial reports.
- Coordinate and support the finance unit management of accounting systems, policies, and procedures in compliance with DAI established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high-quality programs serving the project beneficiaries.
- Prepare various periodic and ad hoc financial reports, as needed, and perform variance analyses to assist with decision-making and proper management of financial resources
- Any other duty that may be assigned.
- BSc. Accounting, Economics or Social Sciences
- ICAN, CFA or ACCA Qualification
- Frequent travel to the Kano project office is required.
- 3 – 5 years of professional experience in an NGO environment
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Good working experience with Accounting package
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Excel, Ms Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to changing work priorities and environment
- Demonstrated analytical, leadership and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work and collaborate with individuals and teams in different cultural settings and at all levels
- Ability to keep confidential accounting/financial information
- Frequent travel to the Kano project office is required
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of the Hausa language will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
8th August 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: UAHRecruitment@dai.com using the position title as the subject of the mail.
- This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
- DAI will only contact candidates that are successful at this pre qualification stage.