Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Intern
Ref No: 220007NJ
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team: Nigeria Country Office
Post Type: National
Reports to: Finance Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Level 7 – the responsibilities of the post does not require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
- The Finance Intern has oversight responsibility to manage the receipts and disbursement of funds, posting of approved invoices and payment vouchers into the aggressor systems and ensuring accurate financial records in accordance with SCI financial policies and procedure.
- He/she will provide support to the finance unit.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure proper supporting documentation and authorization before writing of payment vouchers in line with SCI financial procedures
- Writing of Cheques as approved by relevant budget holders
- Maintain proper filing and easy retrieval of finance documentation
- Perform Bank related activities (Pick up Bank Statements, collect office running cash, etc….)
- Ensure weekly and month end cash counts are carried out
- Payment of participants and other SCI cash payments out of the office
- Cash Reconciliation GLACOS for country office and all field offices
- Maintain petty cash
- Update & maintain manual cash book
- Maintain optimum cash balances and advises the Finance Officer for cash replenishment (including emergencies)
Financial Information and other support functions:
- Assist during audit to retrieve all relevant documents for audit exercise
- Assist others requiring information on transactions to retrieve relevant payment vouchers and documentation for their use
- Registration of approved invoices in Aggressor system
- Preparing Tax, NHF, and pension payment schedules and cheques to be remitted to the Tax authorities and the various pensions’ administrators
- Single account reconciliation (2131 and 2101)
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor or line manager
- Internal: All budget-holders, in particular the CD and other SMT members.
- External: Auditors, Bank, Government bodies, include regulatory agencies.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Part 1 of Recognized Professional Accounting Body (viz. ICAN, ACCA, CIMA) or its equivalent;
- 1 year experience in a similar position.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Experience in computerized and accounting systems.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility.
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations.
- Holds self and others accountable.
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
21st October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online