Hardship Level: E (most hardship)
Family Type: Non Family
Family Type: Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable): Grade: GS6
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-04-16
Job Posting End Date: April 23, 2023
Standard Job Description: Finance Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Finance Associate is normally supervised by a more senior finance colleague who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information. The incumbent may supervise some support staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports.
- Select and enter data from a wide variety of documents, verifying accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant data.
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
- Advise and assist staff members, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, calculate and authorize payments due for claims and services.
- Maintain liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required.
- Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Verify that the financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Accounting Business Administration, Finance
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
High level of IT affinity (MS Office applications, People Soft).
Knowledge and work experience of MSRP Finance applications.
Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR Financial rules and procedures.
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile: Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):: ,
Desired languages: ,
Operational context: Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:: Nature of Position:: Living and Working Conditions:: Additional Qualifications: Skills
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other), IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)Education
Accounting – Other, Business Administration – Other, Finance – OtherWork Experience
Competencies: Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator: https://icsc.un.org/Home/SalaryScales
Compendium: Additional Information: According to the Recruitment and Assignment Policy (RAP), the manager has the option of administrating either the eliminatory or complementary written test based on the functionality of the position